72 replies to this topic

#11 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

Why would this be bad behaviour? If you don't like a performance show your displeasure. Never done it personally, doubt I ever will. I prefer the steely fixed glare of displeasure whilst withdrawing my round of applause

#12 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

The trouble with booing is that it's usually taking out your frustration about a bad experience on the wrong people. Most of the times I've seen something terrible it's never been the actors fault - it's bad enough that the poor buggers have to appear in a turkey night after night without people booing them as well.

#13 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

Odd this is considered bad behaviour when booing (and MUCH worse) was commonplace at Victorian  music halls, and is still de rigueur for bad form on Opera stages - from the most "elite" of audiences. Really it is one of the most traditional responses - though I confess I have not indulged myself, however much some productions have meritted a full throated disapproval.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#14 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

Never booed. Just smiled sympathetically at actors when near enough for them to see. Tapped hands together tepidly and sometimes, not at all often, left before the end. It becomes obvious when a show is rubbish. It closes early. And on tv, the viewing figures drop. No need to upset the actors who then have to find another job.

#15 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

Ps
I have wondered often as I am sure you all have, how some of the awful stuff and we must admit there is very little truly bad, gets past the first few rehearsals. I'm thinking especially of The National's occasional 'off' productions. I think the actors are too scared to say anything and too thankful to be working. Am I right? I know the RSC has pulled the odd show...the now legendary Tamar's Revenge for example. In that case the members of the audience were looking around at each other to see if they were right! The audience was smiling and pulling other faces but you couldn't really leave cos of the tight seating in the Swan. We were transfixed so to speak. Like when you drop your best vase and see it crashing to the floor and then in bits but can't stop it. But any one of us would have told the director it was rubbish after a couple of rehearsals. Was the director just left to do his thing? We all know the story of Olivier who turned up at the first rehearsal of Merchant with his Shylock Jewishfied a la East End wide boy to the horror of Jonathan Miller. This was actor dictating to director. How does it work? You pros and semi pros , do tell us.

#16 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

Never booed, wouldn't consider it. Usually as said it's not the actor's fault. However if I found a particular actor (usually 'celeb' casting let's be honest) to be particularly bad I either clap very very subtly or not at all. I'm quite a stickler for politeness within the theatre-I find badmouthing the show while in the theatre quite distasteful-mainly because you never know who can hear you, even if you think so-in-so can't act or looks like the back of a bus their brother/sister/mother who happened to be in that night doesn't need to hear you say it.
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#17 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

Well, booing the director is quite another thing.  That's what happens in opera where the director often takes a bow on opening night - often expecting the boos!  The only theatre directors I have known to take bows are the directors of musicals on opening nights (on Broadway primarily) where they're joined by a flood of other creatives and know pretty much that they'll be safe.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#18 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

Blame where blames due and all that....

Never seen booing at Opera (despite working a couple of seasons at one Opera company-must have been a good one!) but appreciate the sentiment if you've just sat through that length of awfulness....
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#19 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

I've never booed except at panto. If I particularly disliked one person's performance then I'll stop clapping when that person takes a bow, but if it's the writing that's dreadful there's no point taking it out on the wrong target.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#20 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

Never. If I really don't like it I'll walk out during the interval or not applaud at the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users