• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#31 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

View Postjaqs, on 07 May 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

Ive left prior to the megamix a couple of times at bad shows. Thus negating my need to boo or not clap or pitifully shake my head.

At the insistance of a minor cast member, (one of several trying to engineer a standing ovation during a Megamix after an interminable show), I did indeed rise to my feet which then rather publically marched across the front of the side stalls (I was in the centre blocks of seats) to the nearest exit. Not the reaction he was intending I think.

It felt damn good - and the production was being filmed which may have given them some additional editing to do!!
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#32 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

I have walked out of two performances since I had an aisle seat and could leave discreetly  without disturbing other audience members (though in all fairness, I was not the only one walking out mid performance for either). Not something I would do if I had to make people get up, and I maintain to this day that the only reasons why I saw all of Greenland was because I was sitting in the middle of the row and it had no interval. The couple behind me didn't have the same qualms and escaped mid-play, lucky people.

I might mutter something under my breath and run for the hills in the interval if it's truly bad, if I stayed until the end and still couldn't find any redeeming features I don't clap but nothing has made me boo yet, though the aforementioned Greenland nearly pushed me to the edge.

#33 Sal74

Sal74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

The stalker in The Bodyguard is always booed but The actor that plays him seems to love it :)

#34 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

I've never booed and wouldn't even consider doing it. If I really don't like a particular show or actor (which has happened a lot), I just don't clap much. I don't see why boo-ing is necessary... unless it's a panto, in which case it's kind of required! :P
WEST END: Wicked X80 | Billy Elliot X91 | Singin' In The Rain X25 | Avenue Q X16 | Legally Blonde X27 | Matilda X5 | The Lion King X5 | Sound of Music X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X2 | We Will Rock You X4 | The 39 Steps X15 | Oliver X3 | Chicago X2 | Mamma Mia! X7 |  Hair X3 | Ghost Stories X1 | Jersey Boys X7 | Enron X1 | Blood Brothers X3 | All The Fun of the Fair X1 | Phantom of the Opera X5 | Flashdance X3 | Stomp X1 | Grease The Musical X3 | Sweet Charity X2 | The Woman In Black X2 | Priscilla X2 | Dreamboats and Petticoats X1 | The Glass Menagerie X1 | Love Never Dies X2 | Wizard of Oz X3 | Deathtrap X1 | Sister Act X5 | Love Story X2 | Ordinary Days X1 | End of the Rainbow X1 | Umbrellas of Cherbourg X3 | Flare Path X1 | Spelling Bee X1 | Shrek X7 | Thrill Me X1 | Lend Me A Tenor X2 | Ghost X3 | Betty Blue Eyes X1 | Rock of Ages X3 | Master Class X1 | One Man, Two Guv'nors X2 | Pitmen Painters X1 | Soho Cinders X2 | Spamalot x3 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Volcano X1 | Loserville X6 | Good Night Mr. Tom X1 | Scrooge X1 | Once X2 | A Chorus Line X5 | Curious Incident X2 | Beautiful Thing X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | A Midsummer Night's Dream X2 | Book of Mormon X2 | From Here To Eternity X1 | Stephen Ward X1 | The Commitments X1 | I Can't Sing X2 | Dirty Rotten Scoundrels X1 | The Duck House X1

FRINGE: Smokey Joe's Cafe X1 | Tomorrow Morning X3 | Company X1 | The Kissing Dance X2 | Road Show X1 | Crazy For You X1 | The Belle's Stratagem X3 | Pippin X1 | Kissing Sid James X1 | Mack & Mabel X1 | Taboo X1 | Victor/Victoria X1 | Bully Boy X1 | Daddy Long Legs X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | Lift X4 | Payback the Musical X1 | Candide X1 | The A to Z of Mrs P X1

BROADWAY: Wicked X1 | Newsies X1 | Annie X1

ON TOUR: Les Miserables (Barbican) X1 | Evita (Wimbledon) X1 | Annie (Woking) X1 | Hairspray (Woking) X1 | Avenue Q (Bromley) X2 | Avenue Q (Richmond) X2 | Avenue Q (Woking) X2 | Avenue Q (High Wycombe) X2 | Avenue Q (Southampton) X1 | Avenue Q (Milton Keynes) X1 | Avenue Q (Salford) X1 | Avenue Q (Cardiff) X1 | Avenue Q (Belfast) X1 | Avenue Q (Northampton) X2 | Jekyll & Hyde (Woking) X1 | Legally Blonde (Bristol) X2 | Legally Blonde (York) X1 | Legally Blonde (Glasgow) X1 | Legally Blonde (Edinburgh) X1 | Sister Act (Oxford) X1 | Legally Blonde (Wimbledon) X1 | Rent 20th Anniversary Concert X5 | West Side Story X1 | Wicked X10 | Seven Brides for Seven Brothers X1 | Fiddler on the Roof X1 | Fame X1 | Tonight's The Night X1

CHICHESTER: She Loves Me X3

OPEN AIR THEATRE: Crazy For You X1, Sound of Music X1

NATIONAL THEATRE: Welcome To Thebes X1 | London Road X1 | Curious Incident X1 | The Light Princess X1

OTHER: Vampirette (Manchester) X2, Loserville (Leeds) X1

#35 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

Us british r so polite! If we hated it we just don't cheer as much!!!
I have taken everyone's thoughts and now don't boo. Instead, as the curtain call starts, I instantly stand, unclapping, and stare each member of the cast in the eye

#36 theatrejunkie

theatrejunkie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

I pantomined booed the villains in Welcome to Thebes, The Bodyguard and mercilessly booed the wicked witch of the west in Wizard of Oz, along with the audience

If I don't like a play I will register my dislike by giving a small clap or not clapping at all. Booing a production is a disgrace

#37 LDM2013

LDM2013

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:09 AM

I've never heard of a playwright writing a poor play on purpose or actors putting on a bad performance in similar circumstances. Therefore what is the point of showing displeasure simply because something didn't work for you? Booing is not only disrespectful to those on stage but also those employed backstage and your fellow members of the audience. If you didn't like something simply leave without applauding.

#38 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:48 AM

View PostMrs Lovett, on 26 June 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

Us british r so polite! If we hated it we just don't cheer as much!!!
I have taken everyone's thoughts and now don't boo. Instead, as the curtain call starts, I instantly stand, unclapping, and stare each member of the cast in the eye
  How daringly rock'n'roll. And what productions have you pretended to do that for? :lol:

#39 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

The rule of thumb I take is not to spoil other people's enjoyment; not applauding, leaving at the interval, that's fine. If there is something which affects the performance such as set malfunction then that too.

What isn't fine is showing that you didn't like something when other people clearly did, if anyone booed next to me when I'd enjoyed something then I would probably challenge them on it. I was ready for it for 'In the Republic of Happiness' which seemed to annoy a certain section of people but it was a great audience when I was there so I didn't get the chance.

The absolute worst of the worst is someone brandishing a mobile phone in the middle of the performance though, it isn't just an attempt to annoy it's deliberately angering others who are enthused and focused on what they are watching. The selfishness of believing that you are more important than any person in that audience. Grrr...

View PostMS1995, on 06 May 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

What about walking out in the bows? I have never done it myself and don't plan to, but have seen it pop up a few times in the bad behaviour thread and wondered if people thought it was acceptable way of showing displeasure at a performance?

Well it isn't very effective because it's generally presumed that it's someone trying to get their bus/train isn't it?

#40 Minsky

Minsky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

A friend of mine had a role in a musical where she had to come between the leading man and his osonice girlfriend.  
She was boo'd every night and eventually found the whole thing very demoralising and moved on.

I suspect that any performer, having given a good performance, would be concerned if they got the boos, because many people would not appreciate the fact that it is the character getting the bird not the actor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users