72 replies to this topic

#51 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

Ah we seem to be just out of sync in our theatre going of late-I think you were at the Donmar the day after me too!

I can see how people would boo in the spirit of things for 'Amen' I've also been to a few musicals where people booed the bad guy/girl as mentioned above.
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#52 Minsky

Minsky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 01 July 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

Maybe her part mirrored her own personal behaviour and so she felt the booing personally, even if it was intended for the character, which seems much more probable.

Not her style!!

#53 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

I was recently at Matilda and quite a few members of the audience booed Miss Trunchbull.

I have never booed at any musical that I have seen. I think, like many on here, that it's very panto-like behaviour.

#54 theatrejunkie

theatrejunkie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:07 AM

View Postmallardo, on 30 June 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

I heard a couple of boos - amidst the applause - for the actors who play the scheming Brother Boxer and Sister Boxer in The Amen Corner yesterday.  The actors smiled and nodded - they understood.  Hard to imagine actors taking it any other way.

Glad they took it in good spirit but then i dont think they were true villains really. He just wanted blessing to drive the truck at the end of the day

I really did enjoy booing the wicked witch of the west in Wizard of Oz. She had the biggest smile on her face at the end as she had the loudest applause from the crowd at the end amidst the booing

#55 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

Apart from panto the booing I have witnessed is:

The wicked witch in wizard of oz

Javert in Les Mis

Scar in The Lion King

I don't believe it was disrespectful or offended the particular actors, as they are the villian of the piece!

However booing for a performance you didn't like is very disrespectful in my opinion.

#56 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

Went to see Sleeping Beauty last night where Carabosse (the evil fairy/witch) was booed. Surprised me a lot as the Royal Opera House frequenters are rarely vocal at all other than 'bravo' - even cheering is unusual there, but not booing I guess!

#57 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:28 AM

Due to a fair amount of british ballet audiences having encountered enough panto in their youth, Carabosse gets a friendly boo if she was good. Polite applause just means she wasn't an impressive evil fairy. Same for Rothbart in Swan Lake.

#58 Andromeda Dench

Andromeda Dench

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Er... theatre? Plays, musicals, opera. Classic and modern. Playwrights, directors, performers, designers. Theatre venues. Everything.

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

Tar and feather them, I say! And chase them out of the town.
The only place I have ever (to my great shock and mortification) witnessed booing has been at La Scala. Every single time, apparently by the same group of people (disheveled looking middle-aged and elderly men), whom I also once saw engaged in a fist fight with another group after the show. Puzzled, I did some online research and asked some Italian friends what it was all about, and it turns out that there is apparently a group who blackmails singers/production teams/La Scala itself (depending on the source) asking for money not to boo the performers and the show.
Food for thought, wanna-be mobsters. :)
I could never boo anyone or anything, I just passive-aggressively refuse to participate in the applause.
''Fosse believed that, “The time to sing is when your emotional level is too high to just speak anymore, and the time to dance is when your emotions are just too strong to only sing about how you feel." ''

#59 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

Probably my favourite booing story of the last few years ...

http://www.theguardi...euth-ring-cycle

Some will be rightly squeamish about what took place. Booing is nasty and cruel. In Germany, it comes freighted with a dark history, too. It is particularly devastating for singers, who are doing their best, often in difficult circumstances. But Castorf seemed to revel in it, almost as if the audience verdict was a badge of honour or a vindication. He stood on the stage for more than 10 minutes, mocking his detractors with a thumbs up, ironic applause and dismissive waves. Castorf's response enraged the audience even more. There is no way to know who would have won this battle of wills had not Petrenko diffidently put his head around the curtain to remind Castorf that the orchestra still had to take its traditional end-of-cycle bow. (The orchestra was cheered to the heavens.)

"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#60 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

Just read the Guardian piece. Frankly it sounds marvellous! And the photos are tantalising. Wish I'd seen it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users