14 replies to this topic

#1 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:28 AM

I am going to receive a huge amount of negative comments for this but it is my opinion and I am entitled to it - lol. I comment on this discussion board about shows I have seen or have opinions about - it's a discussion, but I have noticed of late that lots of people have set up theatre blogs where they "review" productions they have seen. Some comments on these boards are simply links to their blogs e.g. "I loved this show, more on my blog at blah blah blah". Now these people are entitled to their opinion - everyone has them, but why should I (or anyone else) be interested in their opinion? What qualifies them to "pass judgement" on a show? I see lots of theatre and have practised it in my time and probably more qualified to comment than most but wouldn't presume that anyone would be interested in what I have to say other than the odd comments on this board which invite discussion. Of course there is no need to click the link, no-one is forced to read these peoples ramblings or worse "raves" from "fans" of particular actors who will countenance no criticism of their idols. It appears everyone wants to be Mark Shenton (who seems to have invented the 9 day week with his theatre going) without his experience, knowledge and trained eye. Theatre producers are even using twitter and audience "comments" on their publicity material now - usually when they cannot find "raves" from the legitimate critics. Why would I go to see Viva Forever because "Sharon" thought it was " bloody brilliant"? So an appeal to all these bloggers - just stop. Enjoy (or otherwise ) your theatre trips and tell your friends but the rest of us aren't interested. Rant over - lol.

#2 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

Not sure why this bothers you so much.  You say yourself you don't have to click the links.  Why shouldn't people give us access to their blogs?  What you describe as "ramblings" are often extremely well-written and thoughtful pieces.  Several of the bloggers here are talented writers - Poly is a prime example. I always click the links to her blog and to most of the others. Honestly, what's the essential difference between writing a review here and providing a link?
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#3 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

I'm interested in those bloggers who review the whole experience - ticket prices, bar prices, queues for the loo, whether it was a full house etc. Stuff that can make or break an evening but which is ignored by the professional reviewers.

#4 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

Yes! Within minutes the defenders (bloggers?) have come on to denounce my opinion. Nothing like a bit of controversy to brighten up a Bank Holiday Monday! Of course I don't click the links but it does "bother" me when people comment on here purely to try and drive traffic to their blog and the presumption that anyone is interested in their view anyway. The fact that some of them are "well written" confirms my suspicion that some of the bloggers just want to be "discovered" - not as performer but as "writers" and expect a call from the New York Times to be their WE correspondent or from a publisher with a multi million dollar advance for their novel "50 Shades of Incontinence". Now there's a best selling title - must write a draft - LOL.

#5 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:04 AM

View Postwickedgrin, on 06 May 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

Yes! Within minutes the defenders (bloggers?) have come on to denounce my opinion. Nothing like a bit of controversy to brighten up a Bank Holiday Monday! Of course I don't click the links but it does "bother" me when people comment on here purely to try and drive traffic to their blog and the presumption that anyone is interested in their view anyway. The fact that some of them are "well written" confirms my suspicion that some of the bloggers just want to be "discovered" - not as performer but as "writers" and expect a call from the New York Times to be their WE correspondent or from a publisher with a multi million dollar advance for their novel "50 Shades of Incontinence". Now there's a best selling title - must write a draft - LOL.
I haven't *denounced* anything. I've simply pointed out the reason why I, and possibly others, enjoy reading opinions that aren't from 'professional' theatre critics. It's not brain surgery - there are no qualifications required so I don't see why the opinions of, for example the West End Whingers, aren't just as valid and worthy of interest as those of Charles Spencer of Michael Billington.  And for the record, I certainly don't have a blog myself and I don't bother with the 'I liked this play, click on this link for more' posts.  I really don't see those sort of posts are so upsetting though.

#6 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion on this but so are all the bloggers (who should just stop writing according to you) and the people who actually enjoy reading the various blogs.

I am a blogger myself, however I usually don't put links to my blog on here (unless you count the link in my profil). Why do I blog? Quite simple: Because I enjoy writing and I love writing about my main passion which happens to be theatre. My blog consists of reviews and some interviews with performers. I sometimes write about general things that I feel are worth a mention (my blog post about the WOS Awards actually made it on here - and no,  it wasn't me who posted the link).

I don't want to be a professional writer, I don't want to be famous - I just enjoy writing. Obviously it's great if people enjoy my reviews, interviews and such. But I'm not expecting anyone to be interested - anyone who thinks my blog is a waste of time can just ignore it.

#7 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

Isn't a discussion board meant to discuss what people thought of a show? Well if people have written up a blog with their review of it, why bother to write it out again on here, when they can just link it? The link also means people (like wickedgrin) dont actually have to read it if they arent interested.

#8 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

I think I know from whence you cometh wickedgrin. One or two semi pro bloggers have crept onto the board lately. They clearly have an agenda, to develop a site , get ads etc: they have a different tone. But it is hard to moderate this stuff. Some of the members do have blogs but only link when relevant. Actually I like to read the blog if it about a show I've seen. And I don't mind reading about Sharon's theatre trip! Isn't that what the board is for?  But Sharon feels that some of her friends won't read WOS so she blogs and then for us, the discerning fellow punters she identifies with, she links for us here.
When someone links for everything to a professional site or in one case links someone else's blog on the same site, then mods will prob delete or at least comment.

#9 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

I have no problem with users such as Poly and FrontRowDress, who regularly partake in discussion and also post links to their (v well written) blogs, following a little preamble on the relevant topic. But it's those others who come on here and soley post links to their blog, and never post about anything else who annoy me.

As for who is entitled to review, everyone is. Many bloggers in fact I think write far better reviews than Mark Shenton. I'm more inclined to go with what a regular 'amateur' theatregoer (eg Poly) says than what he says.

#10 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2075 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 06 May 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

I have no problem with users such as Poly and FrontRowDress, who regularly partake in discussion and also post links to their (v well written) blogs, following a little preamble on the relevant topic. But it's those others who come on here and soley post links to their blog, and never post about anything else who annoy me.

I agree completely.

You can read more about this at my blog - thingsthatannoymeonmessageboards.blogspot.com
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users