14 replies to this topic

#11 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

I like to see as many genuine, full reviews as possible and find blogs useful for (a) providing these before the professional critics do and (B) often reviewing shows overlooked, or given scant coverage, by the mainstream media.  I know it can be annoying mistakenly to click on the other type, but you soon learn to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Most worthwhile theatre bloggers have links to their cohort, which means access to even more views, and as a result I now check some sites frequently, e.g. Thereoughttobeclowns, Revstan, The Other Bridge Project, Front Row Dress, etc.

#12 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

View Postfringefan, on 06 May 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

I like to see as many genuine, full reviews as possible and find blogs useful for (a) providing these before the professional critics do

These early blogs can be misleading because sometimes quite a lot of work happens during previews. A recent prime example is The Low Road which became excellent during its run after a ropy start to previews. Early bloggers tend to point out faults which have gone by the time most people see the play and these comments are irrelevant to everyone who sees the main run. There's a very good reason why professional critics aren't invited to review the very first performances.

#13 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 06 May 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

These early blogs can be misleading because sometimes quite a lot of work happens during previews. A recent prime example is The Low Road which became excellent during its run after a ropy start to previews. Early bloggers tend to point out faults which have gone by the time most people see the play and these comments are irrelevant to everyone who sees the main run. There's a very good reason why professional critics aren't invited to review the very first performances.
But that's all part of the interest of blogs - they talk about things the critics never do. Damned by Despair clearly changed a lot in previews but without bloggers and posters here, we would never have known about the burning robot.

#14 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

Plus some people go to previews for a reason, regardless of the "tweaking" issue:  for instance, I do it to save money and/or because it's the best way to cram another play into my schedule.  I've been to the first preview and the last performance of a run for productions this year, i.e. from one extreme to the other, and agree that things can change, but so long as you're aware of that, what's the problem?

#15 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

Personally, I'm interested in other peoples opinion. I've seen shows which the critics have trashed which I've thought was fantastic, and equally, shows the critics raved about which I've disliked. A critics review isn't the end. Further to that, it is US, the CUSTOMERS who fund productions nightly - not the critics. In my opinion, the people who are shelling out their hard earned cash to see a performance have more of a right to pass judgement on it.
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users