11 replies to this topic

#1 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

Anyone seen it ? Katie Mitchell having the cast mimic exactly all the moves of a filmed version of the play which is screened at the same time apparently. The Wooster Group should sue her for plagiarism.

#2 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

O no not that old idea. She did something like that with another classic novel...remind me, no don't. She is seriously in need of help.

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

Lynette, that's pretty outrageous. It's an excellent and revelatory production. You don't like her art but she doesn't need your or anyone else's "help".

#4 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 06 May 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

... the cast mimic exactly all the moves of a filmed version of the play which is screened at the same time apparently.

Live filming techniques are used, to track the life-changing events through Kristin's eyes, so it would be astonishing to all but the demented, (and Epi, apparently), if the "moves" of the real-time film were to diverge from those of the theatrical performance.

View PostLynette, on 06 May 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

She did something like that with another classic novel...

Miss Julie is a play, not a novel.

#5 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

Saw it the other night, and enjoyed it - as HG said, what you see on the screen is live filming - partly the actors on the set, with bits (chopping etc) done in close up at the front by different actors, and foley artists at the side doing the sound. Cast members switch between being camera crew and characters in the play. All through the eyes of one of the minor characters so when she's asleep or in a different room you can't hear what's going on.

Barking mad, but entertaining and very cleverly done.

I think the other show Lynette was thinking of was The Waves

Did anyone else see "Say it with Flowers" at Hampstead Downstairs? Also demented but excellent. Promenade performance with three sets so they could only fit 20 audience members in at a time.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#6 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

It was def a novel she adapted in the Cottesloe. I think 'demented' just about sums it up.

#7 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostLynette, on 06 May 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

It was def a novel she adapted in the Cottesloe. I think 'demented' just about sums it up.

...some trace of her adapted from Dostoevsky's novel, The Idiot. With Ben Whishaw.

#8 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

Saw Fraulein Julie on Friday and thought it was wonderful, as though you were both watching the creation of reality and the falsity of it at the same time. A perfect vehicle as well, following a character whose subtextual reactions are often missed in the midst of the main couple's self centred mayhem. The most surprising thing to me, being how moving it was, to deconstruct and then to have that emotional response pieced back together again was something that I wasn't expecting.

Whoever said that they copy a film can't have been watching very closely, it's pretty obvious how it's done.

On 'Say It With Flowers' it was a perfect little miniature, the last section being hilarious, the trundling in and out of the trolley and Louis XV and the litle jig still making me giggle when I think about it. I hadn't put Stein as the precursor to Pinter/Beckett/Kane and so on but this made a very good case for it.

It is to British theatre's credit than we can come up with directors like Mitchell, it is to our shame that she is most at home on the continent instead.

#9 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

I've not seen enough of her work to judge. Wanted to see Fraulein Julie, but couldn't fit it in. Hope Hytner invites her back to the NT soon.

#10 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:37 AM

View PostCardinal Pirelli, on 06 May 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

It is to British theatre's credit than we can come up with directors like Mitchell, it is to our shame that she is most at home on the continent instead.

Well, she's had 3 shows on in London in the last couple of months, the two that were reviewed were very well received. Although they both originated abroad so you do have a point!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

Also tagged with Barbican

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users