#11 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

View Postfreckles, on 08 May 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

Booking in advance can work in your favour though if there are special preview prices.
The Commitments has very good pricing, & I believe that The Full Monty is doing the same.
Not all shows go as low as these two but you can often save a good percentage by booking in the preview period, or at theatres like Southwark Playhouse who offer "airline" pricing; the earlier you book the cheaper it is.
But if there are no preview offers, I rarely book in advance as prices come down more often than not.

Agreed on The Full Monty and The Commitments, though they seem to be the exception nowadays.

Southwark Playhouse has unfortunately stopped doing their airline pricing, which is a real shame. I thought it was a great way to reward those theatre goers booking early.

#12 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

View Postwickedgrin, on 08 May 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Agree with all the above posters. I am not alone in not booking in advance because (unless it is an exceptional show) there will be deals to off set the high prices. So in my view the high prices in the first place becomes self defeating as people refuse to book ahead and wait for the offers. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy! As a regular theatre goer I cannot afford the full price anyway but am staggered that anyone would pay say £65 for A Chorus Line when it is currently on offer for £35 routinely. This must hugely affect the grosses of WE shows. I can only assume that a combination of people paying full price AND offer prices works out better for the producers than routinely say charging £50 top price?

I think there must still be a lot of people who do pay the top price and agree that this presumably balances out the overall revenue. But I bet they don't go as often as we bargain hunters...

#13 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

View Postcanadian_turtle, on 08 May 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

Agreed on The Full Monty and The Commitments, though they seem to be the exception nowadays.

Southwark Playhouse has unfortunately stopped doing their airline pricing, which is a real shame. I thought it was a great way to reward those theatre goers booking early.

That is a shame, it was a good system.

#14 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

I think a lot of tourists pay top price as do those who go to the West End as a treat or for a special occasion.  Until my theatre visits became more regular I pretty much went to the theatre box office & paid the price available, now I wouldnt think of paying the full price at all

#15 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

I pay full price if i'm taking someone on a sat night and I was specific seats eg for an event like a cast change.
If I think its going to be a sell out I'll book full price for a cheapseat, or if theres a good reduction for previews a better seat, i'm fine with being up high or slightly restricted view.

Otherwise its comps, discounts and dayseats.

I think much of the once a year crowd will be paying group rate rather than top price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users