- - - - -

Desperately Seeking The Exit's Questionable Ad Campaign

flop musicals solo show desperately seeking susan madonna blondie leicester square theatre

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 blackoutpete

blackoutpete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

This is either the best or worst idea ever.

http://www.seekingth...ly/EXITADS.html

#2 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1220 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

Presumably infringes copyright.

#3 blackoutpete

blackoutpete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Even if more than 50% of the image is altered?

#4 Seriously

Seriously

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

So someone writes a show that's a flop... then writes a show about having that flop.... then borrows another show's advertising idea?

Hmmm..... frankly I hope it closes before it opens!

#5 blackoutpete

blackoutpete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

Actually, the ad campaign for Exit has been the same for the past year (which you can see at the website www.SeekingTheExit.com). These two poster designs were meant as a spoof of hit shows. Americans like to spoof things. I am American. But, thanks for wishing that my show closes! Comments like those from chat board "theatre-lovers" like yourself are exactly what I talk about in the show. Perhaps you should see it. You may just be surprised. : )

#6 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

View Postblackoutpete, on 08 May 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

This is either the best or worst idea ever.

And this is *your* show?  I assumed the above post was from a member of the public, but posting that about your own ads is a bit... weird is the best word I can find!

#7 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

Blackoutpete, presumably you posted that link to find out what people thought, and thats what people think.

#8 blackoutpete

blackoutpete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

Thanks ,everyone. This is all new to me cuz in the States, the chat boards are different. I really appreciate your feedback!

#9 Old Man of theatre

Old Man of theatre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

I'm coming to see it Sunday, v excited.

#10 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

View Postblackoutpete, on 08 May 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

Even if more than 50% of the image is altered?

Uk copyright law is different from US copyright law - there is curently no exception for parody.

http://www.swanturto...px#.UYwNdcqtaO4

If you do copy, for infringement to take place, you must copy at least a “substantial part” of the original work. Whether or not what you have copied is “substantial” is a qualitative, not quantitative, test. If what you have copied is an original and important part of the first work, copying is likely to be considered substantial.

Copying a substantial part of an original work is difficult to avoid for many parodists. It is often essential, for the parody to be understood, that the original work is easy to identify. Currently these people have to seek and pay for licences.

I'd say that you've copied a substantial part of both of those posters, and that they are technically infringing. Of course, the copyright holders of the original may not decide to sue you - they're unlikely to be seen very widely - but they could if they wanted to.

Oh, and a word to the wise - posting on this board to promote a show without declaring your involvement with it is frowned on by  the regulars here. We've had positive 'reviews' that turned out to be posted by people working for the venue or producers before now. You will get a hostile reaction if people suspect you're using this board in a less-than-honest way.

Also tagged with flop, musicals, solo show, desperately seeking susan, madonna, blondie, leicester square theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users