- - - - -

Desperately Seeking The Exit's Questionable Ad Campaign

flop musicals solo show desperately seeking susan madonna blondie leicester square theatre

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#11 Seriously

Seriously

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:43 AM

View Postblackoutpete, on 09 May 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

Actually, the ad campaign for Exit has been the same for the past year (which you can see at the website www.SeekingTheExit.com). These two poster designs were meant as a spoof of hit shows. Americans like to spoof things. I am American. But, thanks for wishing that my show closes! Comments like those from chat board "theatre-lovers" like yourself are exactly what I talk about in the show. Perhaps you should see it. You may just be surprised. : )

Perhaps I should see it?

So you wrote a musical based on a film plot that was already in existence.... you decided to use songs which already belonged to another artist.... you got terrible reviews... so you wrote a show based on those terrible reviews and the rehearsal period.... you steal someone else's advertising campaign and call it "spoof".... and you couldn't even be bothered to come up with an original title for your show as you've just used Charles Spencer's words.  You even use Madonna's "Get into the groove" in your advert and photographs other people took of her, when you say the show isn't using her music!

It just seems a bit odd that every page of your website has "Copyright © Peter Michael Marino - 2013 All Rights Reserved" plastered on them, when you don't seem to mind using other people's work!

#12 blackoutpete

blackoutpete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for all the feedback, fellow theatre-lovers. I was totes unaware that activity like this on this board was frowned upon. Is there any way to delete the thread, so as not to offend?

#13 vertigo1

vertigo1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

Don't you dare delete this thread.
Are you kidding me people? The man has posted some fun images on his site to support a show he has been working 24hrs a day for well over a year to promote and the little nazi police on here do nothing but bash him and throw some copied text about law at him? Lighten up, it's fun and silly, ON A WEBSITE, it's not his print ad, it's not the images that run in the newspapers with his reviews, he's having some fun.

To the person who said they hope the show closes before it opens, if you knew anything about theatre you would know this show has been a huge hit at the Ed Fringe, New York, Manchester, Hollywood, Australia etc and is now doing great in London (he was on the front page of The Stage and inside the Telegraph......I presume you read?). And what a nasty thing to say that you hope it closes. Good old theatre fans supporting the industry we love.

The advertising for this show is clear to see around London, he's just had a bit of fun with these 2 online, chill the hell out. He's only done what Evil Dead and Divine Sister did.

How about instead of moaning you lighten the hell up and support theatre, this is a brave and very funny show that he has worked non stop most of the time alone to turn in to a success, he does not just sit behind a laptop and shake his finger at other people.

#14 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1244 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:47 AM

View Postblackoutpete, on 10 May 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

Thanks for all the feedback, fellow theatre-lovers. I was totes unaware that activity like this on this board was frowned upon. Is there any way to delete the thread, so as not to offend?

You don't have to delete the thread now that you've made your involvement clear. You can promote away, as long as you do so without misleading peope.

Your first couple of posts were misleading, hence the rather disgruntled responses from one or two people.

Edit: See, now I'm wondering what Vertigo1's involvement with you/ this show is. That's the result of starting the thread the way you did - it's always positive or defensive comments of the material that end up lacking credibility.

Oh, and Vertigo1, I was absolutely intending to give useful advice about UK copyright law. It's no skin off my nose if Peter Marino gets sued.

#15 vertigo1

vertigo1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

My company produced Exit in Manchester so I know how bloody hard he works. Not hiding anything, don't really see what difference it makes

#16 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

I have no involvement with the show but can appreciate humour & parody when I see it. Which is the whole point of this show & I think some people need to lighten up a bit...

I'm sure blackoutpete meant no harm, all the best with the show.

(We're all going to be quoted in it now, right?!)

#17 Seriously

Seriously

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

View Postvertigo1, on 10 May 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

...the little nazi police on here...

A classic example of "Godwin's Law".

#18 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2071 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

Look on the bright side, all this nonsense will give you great material for a follow up show :P
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#19 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1244 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

View Postvertigo1, on 10 May 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

My company produced Exit in Manchester so I know how bloody hard he works. Not hiding anything, don't really see what difference it makes

It's nice that you want to defend a
friend/colleague. I'm sure we've all done that ourselves. But it means you're not providing an objective view.

Criticising posters as 'not supporting theatre' when they express their honest opinions about a show's concept or advertising is not going to win Peter or his show any friends. I've been quite intrigued by the idea myself, and thought about getting tickets, but I'm afraid this thread is rather putting me off. I have this aversion to being compared to a Nazi....

#20 Seriously

Seriously

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:40 PM

View Postblackoutpete, on 09 May 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

Actually, the ad campaign for Exit has been the same for the past year (which you can see at the website www.SeekingTheExit.com).

So why did you title this thread "Questionable Ad Campaign" if it's your ad campaign (and which you evidently don't want questioned)?

Also tagged with flop, musicals, solo show, desperately seeking susan, madonna, blondie, leicester square theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users