- - - - -

Desperately Seeking The Exit's Questionable Ad Campaign

flop musicals solo show desperately seeking susan madonna blondie leicester square theatre

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 rodney72a

rodney72a

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:23 AM

And they say it's the Americans who don't get irony.

#22 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:12 AM

View Postvertigo1, on 10 May 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

Are you kidding me people? The man has posted some fun images on his site to support a show he has been working 24hrs a day for well over a year to promote and the little nazi police on here do nothing but bash him and throw some copied text about law at him?

Are you aware that is it actually a criminal offence to pretend to be a consumer when promoting a product or service in which you have an interest, with a fine up to £5000 on summary conviction or a fine plus up to two years imprisonment on indictment?

It's not a problem when someone parodies someone else's advertising. It is a problem when they draw attention to it without owning up to what they're doing. Fortunately for everyone involved it's all in the open now so the matter has become a non-issue, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a problem in the first place.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#23 blackoutpete

blackoutpete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

Well, because I thought the ads might be questionable - which I suppose they were! Although on Twiiter and FB, folks really got a kick out of them. Again sorry, but the US chat boards are different and I am just finding my way around here. I tried not to read the chats back in 2007 when they were full of comments about the musical and it seems they haven't changed all that much, but in the States, they are more for a sense of community and support. Feedback is always welcomed, though. I just went about it in the wrong way. My apologies to all whose time I wasted. : (

#24 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

View Postblackoutpete, on 11 May 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

My apologies to all whose time I wasted. : (

In a few thousand million years the sun will swell up and everything humanity has achieved on Earth will be reduced to isolated atoms drifting through space. In that context, everything we do is a waste of time. But from a more parochial point of view this thread has been interesting enough to run into three pages in as many days, and we always like to hear from people about their own shows.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#25 blackoutpete

blackoutpete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

Amen! Especially when it's a show about a flop show! : )

#26 blackoutpete

blackoutpete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

Simply because I had questions which were indeed answered very helpfully! Thanks again chatters. You keep my spinning. : )

#27 blackoutpete

blackoutpete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Have any of you come to the show? I would love to meet you all and chat some more.

#28 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

I was there today and thought it was amazing. You are hilarious and it was so interesting to hear what happened with the show. Hearing what happened in Tokyo, I really hope you find a way to bring back the show you actually wanted to make. I didn't come to London anywhere near as much as I do now back then so I missed the show even though I read about it and wanted to see it. Great Q&A too! :)

#29 blackoutpete

blackoutpete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

Thanks so much for coming! The Q&A was a blast. The support for this show (other than on this board) has been tremendous. So much so. that Jennifer Saunders has asked me to write the book for her one-woman show about Viva. I would say that tonight is the last night of EXIT at 9PM,  but then I would be selling myself on this board which is frowned upon.  Cheers! B)
VIVA AD: http://seekingtheexi...ly/EXITADS.html

#30 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

The problem wasnt that you were selling yourself, it was that you were pretending to be unbiased. Of course you want people to see your show, that isnt a problem, just say who you are first next time.

Also tagged with flop, musicals, solo show, desperately seeking susan, madonna, blondie, leicester square theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users