37 replies to this topic

#31 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

Saw this last night in Wimbledon and thought it was a bit of a mixed bag. I only went because there was an offer for £13 tickets, so I thought I'd try. I saw the original London production and a few productions since, but never been a big fan of the show.

This "remixed" tour does sounds good. I like the way they've updated the score to make it sound more relevant. However, the set is SO cheap. A few boxes on wheels that are shifted around endlessly. Not even the yellow taxi to dance on at the end of the show. The choreography is fantastic, although some cast members were out of time and really distracting throughout every dance number! Once they get it together, the show is worth seeing for the choreography alone.

The cast is a bit of a mixed bag too. Landi Oshinowo, Jodie Steele, Molly Stewart and Joseph Giacone really stood out, but the rest of the cast weren't great. Overall it had the feel of a GSA end of year show I thought. Schlomo had a weird accent that went from American to Irish during the interval! Nick was far from the amazing actor he was supposed to be and both him and Serena had very weak voices.

It was worth £13, but I'm glad I didn't pay more.

#32 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

View PostSteve, on 27 February 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:

Saw this last night in Wimbledon and thought it was a bit of a mixed bag. I only went because there was an offer for £13 tickets, so I thought I'd try. I saw the original London production and a few productions since, but never been a big fan of the show.

This "remixed" tour does sounds good. I like the way they've updated the score to make it sound more relevant. However, the set is SO cheap. A few boxes on wheels that are shifted around endlessly. Not even the yellow taxi to dance on at the end of the show. The choreography is fantastic, although some cast members were out of time and really distracting throughout every dance number! Once they get it together, the show is worth seeing for the choreography alone.

The cast is a bit of a mixed bag too. Landi Oshinowo, Jodie Steele, Molly Stewart and Joseph Giacone really stood out, but the rest of the cast weren't great. Overall it had the feel of a GSA end of year show I thought. Schlomo had a weird accent that went from American to Irish during the interval! Nick was far from the amazing actor he was supposed to be and both him and Serena had very weak voices.

It was worth £13, but I'm glad I didn't pay more.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. I saw the second preview and as it was my first time seeing Fame live, I enjoyed it for the most part. But I also thought the sets were very disappointing and both Serena and Nick were weak vocally. Loved the dancing and some of the performances, though!
WEST END: Wicked X80 | Billy Elliot X91 | Singin' In The Rain X25 | Avenue Q X16 | Legally Blonde X27 | Matilda X5 | The Lion King X5 | Sound of Music X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X2 | We Will Rock You X4 | The 39 Steps X15 | Oliver X3 | Chicago X2 | Mamma Mia! X7 |  Hair X3 | Ghost Stories X1 | Jersey Boys X7 | Enron X1 | Blood Brothers X3 | All The Fun of the Fair X1 | Phantom of the Opera X5 | Flashdance X3 | Stomp X1 | Grease The Musical X3 | Sweet Charity X2 | The Woman In Black X2 | Priscilla X2 | Dreamboats and Petticoats X1 | The Glass Menagerie X1 | Love Never Dies X2 | Wizard of Oz X3 | Deathtrap X1 | Sister Act X5 | Love Story X2 | Ordinary Days X1 | End of the Rainbow X1 | Umbrellas of Cherbourg X3 | Flare Path X1 | Spelling Bee X1 | Shrek X7 | Thrill Me X1 | Lend Me A Tenor X2 | Ghost X3 | Betty Blue Eyes X1 | Rock of Ages X3 | Master Class X1 | One Man, Two Guv'nors X2 | Pitmen Painters X1 | Soho Cinders X2 | Spamalot x3 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Volcano X1 | Loserville X6 | Good Night Mr. Tom X1 | Scrooge X1 | Once X2 | A Chorus Line X5 | Curious Incident X2 | Beautiful Thing X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | A Midsummer Night's Dream X2 | Book of Mormon X2 | From Here To Eternity X1 | Stephen Ward X1 | The Commitments X1 | I Can't Sing X2 | Dirty Rotten Scoundrels X1 | The Duck House X1

FRINGE: Smokey Joe's Cafe X1 | Tomorrow Morning X3 | Company X1 | The Kissing Dance X2 | Road Show X1 | Crazy For You X1 | The Belle's Stratagem X3 | Pippin X1 | Kissing Sid James X1 | Mack & Mabel X1 | Taboo X1 | Victor/Victoria X1 | Bully Boy X1 | Daddy Long Legs X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | Lift X4 | Payback the Musical X1 | Candide X1 | The A to Z of Mrs P X1

BROADWAY: Wicked X1 | Newsies X1 | Annie X1

ON TOUR: Les Miserables (Barbican) X1 | Evita (Wimbledon) X1 | Annie (Woking) X1 | Hairspray (Woking) X1 | Avenue Q (Bromley) X2 | Avenue Q (Richmond) X2 | Avenue Q (Woking) X2 | Avenue Q (High Wycombe) X2 | Avenue Q (Southampton) X1 | Avenue Q (Milton Keynes) X1 | Avenue Q (Salford) X1 | Avenue Q (Cardiff) X1 | Avenue Q (Belfast) X1 | Avenue Q (Northampton) X2 | Jekyll & Hyde (Woking) X1 | Legally Blonde (Bristol) X2 | Legally Blonde (York) X1 | Legally Blonde (Glasgow) X1 | Legally Blonde (Edinburgh) X1 | Sister Act (Oxford) X1 | Legally Blonde (Wimbledon) X1 | Rent 20th Anniversary Concert X5 | West Side Story X1 | Wicked X10 | Seven Brides for Seven Brothers X1 | Fiddler on the Roof X1 | Fame X1 | Tonight's The Night X1

CHICHESTER: She Loves Me X3

OPEN AIR THEATRE: Crazy For You X1, Sound of Music X1

NATIONAL THEATRE: Welcome To Thebes X1 | London Road X1 | Curious Incident X1 | The Light Princess X1

OTHER: Vampirette (Manchester) X2, Loserville (Leeds) X1

#33 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

Ill give this a miss or just wait for my local college to preform a true version of fame...

#34 Rozzi Rainbow

Rozzi Rainbow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

I saw this yesterday in York and enjoyed it. I've seen a few previous versions and thought this was just as good. I liked that it is set in the modern day with references to Rihanna and Katy Perry, and the students using mobiles and tablets. I also missed the car though and agree that the set is very basic. The ending is a bit different - I'll describe it in spoiler tags below for anyone who is interested.
Spoiler

I might try and see it again later on in the run as it was a fun afternoon out and I enjoyed the music and dancing.

ETA - there were some technical problems with the spotlights at the beginning. In Pray they were all over the place and hardly ever on the person singing! There was a show stop at that point, which as they go wasn't too bad as the theatre has free wifi and they kept updating us that they were fixing the problem. When the show restarted (after about 10 minutes I think) they sang Pray again with the correct spotlights! That's the second show stop I've had at York theatre - last time happened with Legally Blonde, although that was worse as there were two stops, one of which was much longer and lots of the audience decided to go to the bar as it was so close to the interval!!!
"Seek salvation in the place of living rock.
A bright bright star will show the way.
Go to where the champions played."

#35 Distant_Cousin

Distant_Cousin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

Just saw this on a cheapo £13 ticket locally - what a bizarre show!!

It didn't know what it wanted to be and the script smacks of a huge cut and paste job as an attempt to constantly keep it contemporary.

if you're gonna do "Fame" it needs to be a period piece and far more CAMP!

#36 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

Yeah, it is rubbish.. And for some reason when I saw it in Wimbledon the band looked tiny. Im sure my local college even had the full orchestration.. Anyone know what instruments are missing to save costs and if they use click tracks?

#37 Seriously

Seriously

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:05 AM

View PostSeriously, on 07 February 2014 - 01:34 AM, said:

I think you can expect all Kenwright shows to include a reduced band in future.  The new music supervisor likes his click tracks!

Well I hate to say I told you so....

#38 jean_hunt

jean_hunt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

Saw this in York and have to agree, it was pretty poor. Distant_Cousin is right about the period piece thing. You can't announce "So, we're the last graduating class, the class of 2014" while at the same time showing a bunch of supposedly cool young people being homophobic and the female students positively welcoming being touched up/leered at. Also, in 2014 Carmen would've just gone off and done a reality TV show, surely?

On the plus side, I thought the actress playing Serena had a lovely voice (given some of the comments here, I'm wondering if I saw a different person play the part the night I went) and the bloke playing the male lead dancer (Tyrone?) was amazing; you couldn't take your eyes off him when he was on stage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users