94 replies to this topic

#1 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

So with meryl streep, johnny depp and james corden signed up and chris pine and jake gylennhal being sought for the princes it looks like this is going ahead. Just wondering what others thoughts are on it?

Personally im not sure this will work on screen and could end up being another Nine

#2 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostTitan, on 15 May 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

So with meryl streep, johnny depp and james corden signed up and chris pine and jake gylennhal being sought for the princes it looks like this is going ahead. Just wondering what others thoughts are on it?

Personally im not sure this will work on screen and could end up being another Nine

Nine…  When Daniel Day Lewis actively makes a film worse, you know you're in trouble.  Anywho...  Can Cordern, Gyllenhaal and Pine sing?  Streep and Depp can a little (can Depp without that accent?).  After the double of Les Mis and Nine I’d have thought it was clear that musical talent came before star wattage.  I bet more people saw Les Mis because Samantha Barks was in it and got good reviews than would have if Scarlett Johanssen was in it with poor write-ups.  If they can’t sing they can’t do a big part of the role (and probably will struggle to act the song) so the film will suffer.

And isn't it the director of Nine?

#3 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

Yes it is, but he did chicago too.

I think youre very wrong about people going to see sam barks (many reviews didnt even mention her). If any one performance got people through the door it was anne hathaways. Plus les mis had a huge brand name together with positive reviews for the film as a whole.

I just think into the woods is too much of a concept character piece with not enough plot to keep cinema audiences entertained for two hours plus.

#4 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

Article about this on BroadwayWorld http://broadwayworld...-Movie-20130514

Personally, I'm filled with apprehension. I love the stage DVD as for me it successfully creates the fairytale world and it's thus believable that all of these characters would co-exist. As referred in some of the above posts I fear it could be another Nine- don't even start me on how bad that was. Sometimes Hollywood just get it right, but there is that inner fear in the pit of my gut.

According to this article, both Chris Pine and Jake Gyllenhaal both had to audition. Gyllenhaal can sing, don't know about Pine. Apparently there will be some new songs (one called Rainbow for The Baker and his wife to sing) which makes you wonder which of the existing songs will be kept and/or cut. With the two princes obviously Agony is in. With the Wolf, Hello, Little Girl and I'm assuming I Know Things Now and Stay with Me and (I'm hoping) Our Little World. Maybe they may 'pad out' Two Midnights Gone.

I've also heard a rumour that the singer Jewel's name bantered about. Here's a thought, Jewel and Gweneth Paltrow as Florinda and Lucinda!

I think they'll also be a lot of CGI to recreate forest/wood scenes, the transformation of the Witch, The Giant etc.
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#5 danieldabell

danieldabell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

I worry that because it's a Disney film it will be diluted / sanitised & made fluffier than Sondheim should be!

#6 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:21 AM

Rapunzel doesnt die is one rumour but i dont mind changes as long as they work, and sondheim is working on the film too so he will know about any changes

#7 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

So it's finally getting off the ground? I'm apprehensive too, but massively excited.

I'm a bit concerned that a new song for the Baker and his wife could mean that 'It Takes Two' is dropped, but hopefully it's an additional song and not a replacement.

I wonder who'll play Red Riding Hood?
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#8 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

Can Cordern, Gyllenhaal and Pine sing? Streep and Depp can a little

No idea about Corden or Pine, but Gyllenhaal hosted SNL a few years back and sang "And I'm Telling You". Admittedly, it was a comedic and OTT rendition, but there's no doubt he can sing. As for saying Streep can, "a little", I think that's an understatement!

#9 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

No I agree, Streeps voice was ok in MM but it wasnt brilliant by any stretch.  She should do well as the Witch, although I think CZJ would have been a better choice

#10 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

although I think CZJ would have been a better choice

Having heard the Broadway cast recording of A Little Night Music, I could not disagree more. Horrendous tuneless bellowing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users