11 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1777 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

If anyone here sees this it would be good to get some views early on, as I imagine tickets may sell out quickly.

#2 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

I am going on 28th May, looking forward to it. Will report back.

#3 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

To Kill a Mocking Bird - useful information for Regent's Park Open Air Theatre, where flocks of our twittering and cawing feathered friends regularly disrupt performances.

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1777 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

Well, I answered this for myself. It's excellent; imaginatively staged in a way I don't want to spoil but the reviews next week undoubtedly will, and enhanced by three natural, very appealing performances by the child actors - take a bow Izzy Lee, Adam Scotland and Harry Bennett, who were on the night we saw it, and managed this despite being the only cast members to be forced to wear short sleeved T shirts on a chilly night. Also plaudits for the voice coach Barbara Houseman. Robert Sean Leonard was also excellent, very low key - less heroic and more tired and downtrodden than Gregory Peck played it, which works and makes his address to the jury even more powerful. Very good ensemble playing from everyone else too. A hit.

#5 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

I may be in a minority but I really didn't enjoy this. The decision to have narrators reading from the book in english accents really irritated me. I found some of the acting very hammy and thought some american accents were dreadful, The staging was quite interesting but not a production I could recommend unfortunately. Perhaps it's me, the past few things I've seen lately I haven't particularly enjoyed.

#6 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

View Postitsuckstobeme, on 22 May 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

I may be in a minority but I really didn't enjoy this. The decision to have narrators reading from the book in english accents really irritated me. I found some of the acting very hammy and thought some american accents were dreadful, The staging was quite interesting but not a production I could recommend unfortunately. Perhaps it's me, the past few things I've seen lately I haven't particularly enjoyed.
  Oh goodness, if there's one thing I really hate on stage it's narrators reading from the book. There was far too much of it in Curious Incident.

#7 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

I presume you didn't go to see "Gatz" then ;)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#8 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

Yeah I agree about narrators reading from books, it's such a lazy device, curious incident only really took off for me when it ditched the narration

#9 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

View Postxanderl, on 23 May 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

I presume you didn't go to see "Gatz" then ;)
Perish the thought. There was quite enough unnecessary narrative in the film. I blame the Age of Innocence for the modern trend of thinking we can't understand what we're seeing unless a patronizing voice-over explains it. Re Gatz - wasn't the 20 minute reading at the end just a little bit dull? Be honest.

#10 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

Re Gatz - wasn't the 20 minute reading at the end just a little bit dull? Be honest.

Not one single second of Gatz was even slightly dull.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users