• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Chris_Blob

Chris_Blob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

In the December 2010, the year of the really bad winter, the cast of Dreamboats and Petticoats played to 17 brave souls who managed to fight their way through the snow to get to the 1200 seat Grimsby Auditorium. At least half of those were members of the panto cast who were rehearsing to open the following week and were in the building anyway!

#22 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

I was once in a show in Edinburgh with a cast of four, and one night the audience consisted of two (my brother, and a member of the venue staff).  We kept going!  I added a bit of the real contents of the prop whisky bottle to a glass at some point.and added a bit more swearing, though.

Last year in Edinburgh, we had a few low audiences, but for some reason audience reaction was not correlated to the number of people!  Just needed a few people that got our sense of humour.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#23 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:06 AM

Some terrific stories here http://www.guardian....udience-stories

#24 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2067 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

I particularly enjoyed the tale of the elderly ladies enticed into a fringe production of Edward Bond's "Bingo" by the sign saying "Bingo here tonight!"
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#25 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

We had a children's show at work (outside of school holidays) which attracted 7 people. The entire office staff decamped to the theatre to watch it to flesh it out a bit. Not a reflection on the show, which was good and played decent houses when it's target audience wasn't in school....
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#26 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

View PostEmiCardiff, on 16 June 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

We had a children's show at work (outside of school holidays) which attracted 7 people. The entire office staff decamped to the theatre to watch it to flesh it out a bit. Not a reflection on the show, which was good and played decent houses when it's target audience wasn't in school....
That happens a fair amount at Edinburgh because the third week of the festival takes place in Scottish term-time, something the organisers don't go out of their way to tell English theatre companies...

#27 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:21 AM

I saw "Happy New" this last week at Trafalgar Studios - I counted 34 people. Poor chicks.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users