26 replies to this topic

#11 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

I once turned up at a performance that was cancelled; it was The Contrast at the Cochrane. I don't know how many people had bought tickets for that night but when I went back on a more popular night the scattered audience spread itself out and managed to occupy two rows.

I was an audience of one at the cinema once, to see Tangled one Sunday morning very late in its run. The projector broke down just as the film was about to start and the projectionist had to get it working again just for me. He got his revenge by rewinding to run the entire sequence of advertising right from the beginning instead of skipping through it to get back on time.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#12 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostMatthew Winn, on 22 May 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

I once turned up at a performance that was cancelled; it was The Contrast at the Cochrane. I don't know how many people had bought tickets for that night but when I went back on a more popular night the scattered audience spread itself out and managed to occupy two rows.

I was an audience of one at the cinema once, to see Tangled one Sunday morning very late in its run. The projector broke down just as the film was about to start and the projectionist had to get it working again just for me. He got his revenge by rewinding to run the entire sequence of advertising right from the beginning instead of skipping through it to get back on time.
Oh, I've been on my own in the cinema many times, most bizarrely for a double-bill of Airplane and Monty Python and the Holy Grail

#13 ptwest

ptwest

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

I can remember going to the Saturday night performance of Lettuce and Lovage at the Bristol Hippodrome many years ago. There must have been only about 20 of us in the whole place making an atmosphere of general jollity a little hard to muster. It was not helped by sitting on the second row with my mother fast asleep through most of it. God only knows what it must have been like on other nights.

#14 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

There was a musical version of Tess of the Durbervilles at the Savoy about 15 years ago that allegedly played to audiences in single figures.

#15 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:29 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 22 May 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

There was a musical version of Tess of the Durbervilles at the Savoy about 15 years ago that allegedly played to audiences in single figures.

I saw that. I didn't think audiences were that low, but it was a tragically dreary production that fully deserved its lack of success. Its unfortunate audiences suffered so greatly that someone on rec.arts.theatre.musicals was inspired to set up the Tess Survivors Association. There was a TSA web page too, but it no longer exists. It's not even in the Internet Archive.

(In terms of numbing lack of eventfulness it was later overtaken - by a mile - by Behind The Iron Mask, from which audiences stumbled out into the daylight in shell-shocked horror, but in its day Tess was quite remarkable.)
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#16 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:44 AM

View Postxanderl, on 22 May 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

That happened to me once - had a chat with the cast in the bar, they were apologetic but not sorry enough to put the show on for me!

Interesting that they should feel the need to apologise. Shouldn't you, as the audience representative, have apologised to them ?

#17 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostMatthew Winn, on 23 May 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

I saw that. I didn't think audiences were that low, but it was a tragically dreary production that fully deserved its lack of success. Its unfortunate audiences suffered so greatly that someone on rec.arts.theatre.musicals was inspired to set up the Tess Survivors Association. There was a TSA web page too, but it no longer exists. It's not even in the Internet Archive.

(In terms of numbing lack of eventfulness it was later overtaken - by a mile - by Behind The Iron Mask, from which audiences stumbled out into the daylight in shell-shocked horror, but in its day Tess was quite remarkable.)
I definitely remember one of the performers saying there were single figures but maybe only once. Not that there were many performances...

#18 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Some background on Tess here - http://www.albemarle...#39;Urbervilles
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#19 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Medea at Teatro Technis for a matinee a few years ago had more actors (4 or 5) than audience (3). It was one of the most awesome performances I've seen and is still in my list of top ten plays seen.

#20 stitcher

stitcher

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

Tell Me On A Sunday at the Gielgud with Marti Webb - maybe the first six rows of the stalls were occupied and the rest of auditorium closed.  A very valiant performance and I preferred her singing to Denise Van Outen, but you couldn't deny the pathos of the evening...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users