#111 DeNada

DeNada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

View Postsamsam1985, on 23 May 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

The glass elevator will eventually fly over/around the stalls and is still being worked on.

Hmmm.  Not sure how that's going to work.  At the moment it's just the stage rising up - and I don't think they really should be doing something like that anyway, unless they want to undermine the end of the show even further than the staging already does.

Pure Imagination is like Anything Can Happen in Mary Poppins (a show I thought of many times while watching this) - it should be the climax, really.  Except you have a slightly lame finale number for Wonka and Charlie afterwards that can't live up to it.

#112 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

So you don't want then to fly around the stage... And yet what they have currently got is an anti climax? Make your mind up ...

#113 Lover

Lover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:55 AM

In China they projected some very famous scrolls for Expo. The ground was a river. . . . .all done by projection onto glass at an subtle angle.

When your using that much projection - why not carry on!?

#114 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

Except you have a slightly lame finale number for Wonka and Charlie afterwards that can't live up to it.

Says you. I, on the other hand, really liked the final number and was not alone in finding it brought a lump to the throat.

#115 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

No, didn't really think the last number was brilliant either.  But none of the new songs are really show stoppers
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#116 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

I think Augustus' song "More of him to Love" went down extremely well... but that whole run of songs is staged so brilliantly, it's hard not to get caught up in them (it's just a shame the best one of the lot starts the section)

I do think the opening needs to be punchier.  I'd like have the opening speech be a song instead... but then it would introduce the physical character of Wonka too early and that would not be good...
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#117 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

They need to replace a twee Bucket song (preferably the parents one) with something better, I get they need the to contrast to the other families - and time to change the set but the inbetween bits got tedious and didnt add anything.

#118 DeNada

DeNada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 24 May 2013 - 12:15 AM, said:

So you don't want then to fly around the stage... And yet what they have currently got is an anti climax? Make your mind up ...

You misunderstand me - sorry, wasn't clear, was about to go to bed last night.

I think Pure Imagination, as it's currently staged, is nice.  It's the high point of the show.  That's where they could add the glass elevator flying around the audience as it's the only scene where it's used.

The number that FOLLOWS, and the end in general, is anti-climactic.  After Pure imagination, Wonka gives Charlie the factory, they celebrate with a song that is not particularly memorable and has fairly uninteresting choreography that basically seems to be Wonka and Charlie doing a not-very-good tap routine, they all move in and Wonka sings a very brief (and unintelligibly quiet) reprise of his first act number before the curtain comes down.

If you make Pure Imagination a spectacle, then the actual finale will seem like even more of a damp squib.  It's just not particularly memorable or a high note to go out on.

And as MusicalTalk says, More Of Him To Love was the best number in the show - admittedly the basis of the number is "Ah, ze fat Germans yodelling ist sehr funny, ja?" but it's still hilarious.

#119 Zinone

Zinone

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

I saw this last night and while it was very enjoyable, with lots to admire and appreciate, I hoped it would be amazing and (in my opinion) it wasn't, so I was fairly deflated.

The biggest disappointment comes from the score - every song from Hairspray and Bombshell is better than every song here, and it reminded me of Catch Me If You Can... not that it sounds alike, just that it's full of frustratingly unremarkable songs. Maybe Marc and Scott are just better when writing for women.

Visually it's a treat and the Oompa Loompas are a lot of fun but even at that, paper plane aside, it lacked the 'wow' factor of something like Ghost (just in terms of stage trickery).

I also wasn't fond of Wonka nor the lame jokes he was lumbered with.

It's a solid but mildly underwhelmed 7/10 from me.

#120 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Yes - and I do wish Paul Kieve was in charge of the illusions...
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users