#173 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

View PostKevinUK, on 24 May 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

Really they should have done what the Wizard of Oz did -  songs from the film with some new ones thrown in (such as the opening number and TV numbers!).
Like Mary Poppins...which I think worked so well because they left in all the famous songs - Spoonful of Sugar, Step in Time etc - but added new ones which were equally good (if not better, but thats just my opinion).

#174 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

There's only one good song in the film .. Pure imagination.. And that's in the show!

Mary Poppins had endless classic songs

#175 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3396 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

you speak as though your opinion is a fact. i disagree, I Want It Now is a great song and perfect for the character, Ive Got A Golden Ticket is also good. Candy Man is cheesy but could have been fun on stage.

i do agree more of a merging between the well known and loved songs with a new score could have worked well

#176 Caz

Caz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, walking around London

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

Hi All Went to see this today, the matinee. Have to say and this is just my opinion which matters to no one but me!         Nigel Planner who plays Granpa Jo.....l don't think he does the role justice... would much prefer Grandpa George to do the role although l understand he is the understudy, just feel grandpa George has more feeling... nigel planner for me doesn't come across as the doting grandpa.... as l said my opnion. As for the Oompa Lumpas.... at first l was very disappointed when l first saw them in their first scene... but l then changed my mind as the show continued... did anyone else feel like that! Just wondering. Missed the Oompa Lumpa song by them... which is just very memorable... glad they had at least one song from the original, but didn't miss the rest of them. As for Willy Wonka in the beginning of the second half... he took the place of the musical conductor for a minute or so. All in all a good show... kids will love it... and adults. Don't want to say much more about the show as l don't want to spoil it for anyone... although this is the spoiler page! lol  Also for the merchandise... was really surprised they had no wonka bars.... they could of sold 100's in my opnion....matchmakers just didn't have the same appeal! Only small brochures available at the moment. Best wishes, Caz

#177 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

Agreed with the Wonka bars, this is a must!! I also wanna say, the purple colour is lush on the programmes and posters!!

#178 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2540 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

View Postdannyboyjohnson, on 25 May 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

I also wanna say, the purple colour is lush on the programmes and posters!!

Subliminal promotion of The Color Purple.

#179 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

Great. Was supposed to see this last Saturday and now got tickets for July. After reading all this I don't want to see it. Does Soho still do peepshows?

I jest. I really wana see Jack Shallooooooo. He once responded to me on Twitter. I like pretending he's my boyfriend.

#180 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

Yes, they are definitely missing a trick if they are not selling "Wonka Chocolate". Available in the M&M store in Leicester Sq. by the way!

Perhaps the delivery has not arrived yet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users