803 replies to this topic

#201 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

I didn't think the show was on tonight? I thought for the next 2 weeks they were having Monday and Tuesday off by the looks of it on see tickets?
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

#202 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

You may be right! It would make sense - I did think it was strange that someone posted the Elevator was appearing tonight and the cast had started rehearsing it this afternoon...

#203 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

No show again till Wednesday !!

#204 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

It'll be interesting to see the glass elevator in action because the scene with Charlie and Wonka on the raised platform worked well, you wouldn't have thought there was a set piece missing,

#205 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:01 AM

I think that scene depended upon where one was sat; from low down, the illusion didn't work at all and it was obvious it was a temporary situation.
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#206 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

Just seen the matinee - no glass elevator, but TBH I don't think there's going to be one. It's not needed; the scene works perfectly well with them on a rising platform & the stage blacked out apart from stars. I thought it was lovely.
And the whole point of the show & Wonka's ethos is imagination & to have a physical elevator would somehow spoil that.

But I suppose we'll see.

Enjoyed the show overall, excellent cast & beautiful staging. The musical numbers aren't that memorable, although I liked whatever Wonka sang towards the end of Act One. And the one between Mr & Mrs Bucket was sweet. The kids' songs were OK but rather garbled in places, they are a bit too wordy. I couldn't hum anything except Pure Imagination now though. I liked Douglas Hodge.

A feel good show & children seem to love it. So sweet to hear them gasp in delight when Charlie got his golden ticket...!

#207 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

Where does this magical paper aeroplane effect come into the show? And how is it seen onstage that makes it so talked about?

#208 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

Its quite early on & I completely missed it.

But according to the rest of my party, Charlie made a paper plane which he throws/launches & it flies from stage left diagonally across the auditorium to the balcony. Very quick though.

#209 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

View Postdannyboyjohnson, on 29 May 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

Where does this magical paper aeroplane effect come into the show? And how is it seen onstage that makes it so talked about?

Charlie is writing a letter to Mr. Wonka, and when he's done it flies off as a paper aeroplane. You expect it to be a prelude to the magic off the Factory and effects they'll use to make it magical - but it's not.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#210 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

Ahhh im sitting in the balcony, i hope i see it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users