• Please log in to reply
803 replies to this topic

#211 Ajl

Ajl

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

As much as I would love to see a flying elevator around drury lane, I am starting to question that one? Seems to be mixed opinion on whether it is going to be installed at a later date or not... Surely there'd at least be evidence of it by now even if it isn't being used yet?

#212 wetheatreboy

wetheatreboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

It would be a pretty lousy magical effect if you could see the mechanics of how it worked when you walk into the auditorium though, wouldn't it?

There were no obvious signs of a flying car when you walked into Chitty either....

View PostAjl, on 29 May 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

As much as I would love to see a flying elevator around drury lane, I am starting to question that one? Seems to be mixed opinion on whether it is going to be installed at a later date or not... Surely there'd at least be evidence of it by now even if it isn't being used yet?

#213 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

From what I've heard... You get a lot of spectacle got your money.. Glass elevator or not.

#214 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

For

#215 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

View Postdannyboyjohnson, on 29 May 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

Ahhh im sitting in the balcony, i hope i see it

When Charlie sits in an armchair to write a letter to Wonka (but is supposed to be doing his homework), keep an eye on him!

#216 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

View Postfreckles, on 29 May 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

When Charlie sits in an armchair to write a letter to Wonka (but is supposed to be doing his homework), keep an eye on him!

Oooh thanks for the note... Ill remember that :)

#217 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:16 PM

View Postfreckles, on 29 May 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

A feel good show & children seem to love it. So sweet to hear them gasp in delight when Charlie got his golden ticket...!

That's part of the charm of it, whether it be a book, film or a theatric performance: you root for Charlie to get that ticket. It was great hearing the children gasp when he got the ticket - even though I knew it was coming I was still mighty pleased to see him actually get it. I hope the children who hadn't read the book are inspired to go out and get a copy - it's one of those classics that should just be read.

It's things like this that give the show heart though. I admit the child in me wanted to hear 'I've got a golden ticket!' at this point, as once he finds the ticket it falls a little flat. But just like children gasping at the ticket reveal, my inner child loved the Oompa Loompas and was more than happy to cheer them on.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#218 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

Just got home from this, I'll write a proper response in the morning but I enjoyed it. I think it's a 3 star show, some good effects but nothing astounding. The music is forgettable with possible exception of wonkas entrance. No glass elevator and I don't think there ever will be as the whole point of that scene is imagination creating things from nothing.

The much talked about paper aeroplane was what I was most excited about after reading this thread. I was in a box so maybe it looked better from another angle but it was clearly on a piece of magicians 'invisible' thread and fixed in the chair, Charlie swapped the one he made for the rigged plane.

#219 jon01

jon01

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

An encouraging report from Baz in the Mail:   http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

#220 jon01

jon01

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:25 AM

Note the producers:

- Please wipe some chocolate on Augustus Gloop's face when before travels through the pipe and appears at the windows - he looks too clean!

- I would like to see Wonka hand a chocolate bar to a member of the audience or throw some small sweets into the stalls when he steps off the conductor's podium at the start of Act 2

- In the curtain call, could we have the mini Mike Teavee pop out of his mum's handbag and say bye and thanks in his squeaky voice, before the full size Mike comes out

- I would love to see some kids come out into the aisles dressed as Oompa Loompas either during 'Vidiots' or at the finale and do some clapping and dancing!

I love the show, the score is growing on me!

'If Your Mother Were Here' is a real tear-jerker and 'Don't Ya Pinch Me, Charlie' is the showstopper. 'It Must Be Believed to Be Seen' reminds me of 'The American Dream' - brilliantly performed by Douglas. 'A Letter From Charlie Bucket' is such a sweet song ending with the paper aeroplane. There are some very witty Tim Minchin style lyrics throughout the score

'The little people are singing again, that’s not a good sign!'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users