#221 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

View Postpaplazaroo, on 30 May 2013 - 10:55 PM, said:

Just got home from this, I'll write a proper response in the morning but I enjoyed it. I think it's a 3 star show, some good effects but nothing astounding. The music is forgettable with possible exception of wonkas entrance. No glass elevator and I don't think there ever will be as the whole point of that scene is imagination creating things from nothing.

The much talked about paper aeroplane was what I was most excited about after reading this thread. I was in a box so maybe it looked better from another angle but it was clearly on a piece of magicians 'invisible' thread and fixed in the chair, Charlie swapped the one he made for the rigged plane.

That might be because you were looking for it.  From the stalls, and without knowing of its existence, it was a lovely moment.
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#222 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

I saw this last night and there's a lot to like about it. I thought the book was well written, and the casting and sets are great.The first half being mainly in black and white with only the tv segments as colour and then the second act being bright and colourful I really liked. And the Oompa Loompa's work really well. They really do steal the show. Douglas Hodge is great as Wonka and has created a character that's much more like Gene Wilder's than Johnny Depp's and that worked for me. His singing and dancing is great to boot. I saw Jack Costello last night and he really carried the show well. Nigel Planer as Grandpa Joe does a good job, but I didn't believe for a minute he was 90+!

I was a bit disappointed by the music, I love Hairspray, Bombshell and Catch Me if You Can, but nothing in this score comes close to any of those. It seems a real mish-mash of styles with nothing really connecting them at all. The songs to introduce the child ticket winners are pretty terrible, the one for Augustus is the only one I felt worked. The awful rap and whatever that was for Mike were terrible. And where was the song when Charlie found the ticket? I was expecting a huge celebration with lots of dancing, like in the movie, but it never really happened. If Your Mother Were Here and It Must Be Believed To Be Seen were the only songs that really stood out, but I couldn't hum either to you. I came out of the theatre with Pure Imagination in my head wishing they'd incorporated more of the movie songs.

I think the first act needs some extra work and something needs to be done with the ending. Having Wonka come back on as some kind of Fagin for a few seconds doesn't work at all. It needs a big production number filled with colour and Oompa Loompa's for the feel good factor. Charlie's first day in charge or something :-) I am looking forward to going to see it again in a few months and see what changes they made. The show is in pretty good shape, but could be made really wonderful with a few tweaks here and there.

#223 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

First production shot has been released!!

https://www.facebook...&type=1

#224 Ajl

Ajl

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

Looks pretty awesome to me! Or have they picked one of the better scenes?

#225 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:37 AM

I'm sure they will listen avidly to your every word..

#226 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:39 AM

What would Willy Wonka handing out chocolate add to the show? And kids dressed as Oompahs? Purleese. Awful idea.

#227 TheatreDust

TheatreDust

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

One of the disappointments for me was the inside of the theatre.... partly after the original trailer which very much set the concept of Drury Lane being turned into a chocolate factory.   I was somehow expecting that they would have done an internal make-over in the way The Cambridge has sought to take you into the Matilda world as soon as you enter the building.   I know it might have been a bit odd, since you almost don't want to see the chocolate factory until the reveal, but that trailer laid the seeds for me to expect something more in the building.  Perhaps they still plan to do something ahead of full opening.

Also, something I had fixed in my head before I saw it was that they would use a chocolate aroma throughout the auditorium at some point.  Perhaps when the gates of the factory are seen or maybe when the "chocolate river" is seen.    I don't remember ever seeing this concept ever being discussed anywhere, but it seemed such an obvious idea to me that I was surprised they hadn't done it.

I know nothing about the mechanics of introducing smells - but supermarkets are well known for using artificial coffee and baked bread aromas, something like a chocolate smell would work fantastically to make it a more immersive experience.  I guess the tricky bit would be to make it a transitory smell - so that it was only noticeable in the scene where it was needed (and so the fabric in the seats etc aren't left reeking of chocolate for years to come!).

As for my overall thoughts on the show - well, I guess they've been summed up by the emerging consensus in this thread...

#228 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

I don't think the theatre needs to be transformed - the magic takes place on stage. And as for the smell; I fear that would be a bit cloying & sickly. We've come to a theatre to see a musical, not a theme park!

#229 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

Marc Shaiman: "The second act of the musical is like one big theme park ride."  

I wonder if he's been to Alton Towers and gone on the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ride!

I hoped smells would've been introduced; this is technology that is done quite subtly at theme parks - it would've been fun.

And - there is little difference between theatre and a (good) theme park ride.  Both involve story, sets, actors, lights, music and sound.  

Whilst we didn't get the Drury Lane to be a factory, I must say - the the new foyer and lobby etc do look absolutely beautiful!
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#230 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3364 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

This is a rare time when the show is an event, and is more than just another musical and expectations are high. There is a world people want to be taken into.  It would be a smart move to have the world begin the moment you walk through the doors. It creates buzz and atmosphere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users