#231 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostTheatreDust, on 01 June 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

One of the disappointments for me was the inside of the theatre.... partly after the original trailer which very much set the concept of Drury Lane being turned into a chocolate factory.   I was somehow expecting that they would have done an internal make-over in the way The Cambridge has sought to take you into the Matilda world as soon as you enter the building.   I know it might have been a bit odd, since you almost don't want to see the chocolate factory until the reveal, but that trailer laid the seeds for me to expect something more in the building.  Perhaps they still plan to do something ahead of full opening.

Ah what has the cambridge done to make you feel like entering the world of matilda, i haven't seen Matilda so dont know but really intrigued to know :)

#232 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

They have school desks and chairs everywhere, and a large amount of plot related chalkboards stuck up with captions on them!
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#233 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostTitan, on 01 June 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

This is a rare time when the show is an event, and is more than just another musical and expectations are high. There is a world people want to be taken into.  It would be a smart move to have the world begin the moment you walk through the doors. It creates buzz and atmosphere.

I think the fact the building is not allowed to be altered too much may count for this.  They didn't alter the theatre much for Lord of the Rings... and that was labelled as an experience.  The show grows to the moment when we enter the factory in Act II.... you don't want to be moved into it immediately.
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#234 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

Lord of the Rings created something of drawing people in before the show started at Drury Lane. Roots etc at the sides, and the actors out catching fireflies.

#235 TheatreDust

TheatreDust

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostMusicalTalk, on 01 June 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

They have school desks and chairs everywhere, and a large amount of plot related chalkboards stuck up with captions on them!

Answered - so I don't have to!  Thanks.  I think the Cambridge setup is very well done - it isn't overpowering in my opinion and was quite striking the first time I visited.  You got a real sense of the show before you entered the auditorium - which again was amazing in the way they took over the whole space.

Mind you, I did like Charlie's very stylish opening curtain/set.

#236 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

you can do a.lot without actually alterning tne building.

#237 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1227 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

If you want to smell chocolate go to the M&M store in Leicester Sq. The smell made me feel quite sick to be honest, but I did think it was something they might do at Charlie but then I am not an award winning director!

As for the theatre make-over I don't think ALW would have allowed it having just refurbished some of the front of house to stunning effect.

Loving the comments about the production on this board, but the show will not be quite "set" yet and they will still be tweaking things so too soon to judge finally. I just wish the preview prices would reflect more that the show is still being worked on. To charge almost full price for what can be a work in progress is scandalous and I think people would be more generous to the show if they had not paid almost full price for a preview.

#238 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

View PostMusicalTalk, on 01 June 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

Whilst we didn't get the Drury Lane to be a factory, I must say - the the new foyer and lobby etc do look absolutely beautiful!

View PostTitan, on 01 June 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

This is a rare time when the show is an event, and is more than just another musical and expectations are high. There is a world people want to be taken into.  It would be a smart move to have the world begin the moment you walk through the doors. It creates buzz and atmosphere.

They'd have their work cut out to make the stairs up to the balcony in any way appealing though!

#239 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

If you want the smell of chocolate, eat a chocolate bar during the show, unwrapped beforehand of course.
LONDON
[2004] Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010] Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011] Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013] The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#240 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

I understand that people would like the Chocolate Factory experience overall, but to theme the building etc (stairs to the balcony or not) would give away elements of the factory which aren't revealed onstage until Act 2.
Act 1 is beautifully contrasting, muted colours & the poverty of Charlie's family, I think the producers want you to start with that & build up to the colour & excitement of the world of Wonka.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users