803 replies to this topic

#241 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

By all accounts enough effort and money has been spent on stage to create the factory so why not let the theatre be a theatre.. Not a theme park by decorating it.

#242 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

So with the first preview being about 2hours, 45mins... Has the show been shortened as of yet? Any changes noticed? etc...

#243 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3393 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

i really hope they fix it so its a big success but im hearing more and more mixed comments and that it needs work from people both in and out of the industry

#244 Palatio

Palatio

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostTitan, on 01 June 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

i really hope they fix it so its a big success but im hearing more and more mixed comments and that it needs work from people both in and out of the industry

Hmm well that is kind of the point of previews!!!!!!!
And mixed comments are common with any show, at this stage and at later stages. And I wouldn't consider views if those within the industry as any more important than those not in the industry. Point is, opinions WILL vary no matter what the finished product is like.

#245 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

Interesting article in today's Telegraph: http://www.telegraph...ingredient.html

#246 TheatreDust

TheatreDust

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

Unusual, I think, to see such a detailed piece during previews, but it does give plenty of fair acknowledgement that it is still being worked on.  

It also sums up my views on the show as it currently stands.  I think the score is the part that needs the most attention.

#247 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

I think that's really out of order of the Telegraph. It gives so much away & surely the whole point of a preview period is that the press don't report & criticise until the show opens properly. I think this forum (where you would expect to hear honest opinions pre-press night) has been very responsible in having a clearly marked "spoiler" thread, but for the Telegraph to say all that and even include the phrase "without giving too much away" really isn't right.

#248 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

It seems from reading things one of the main problems is the score. I really wished this would have been up to Hairspray standards but the general buzz is it is far from that.

#249 TheatreDust

TheatreDust

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

View Postfreckles, on 02 June 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

I think that's really out of order of the Telegraph. It gves so much away & surely the whole point of a preview period is that the press don't report & criticise until the show opens properly. I think this forum (where you would expect to hear honest opinions pre-press night) has been very responsible in having a clearly marked "spoiler" thread, but for the Telegraph to say all that and even include the phrase "without giving too much away" really isn't right.

Yes - I've even felt a bit guilty been negative in this forum during the previews - but I suspect people here are quite open minded and understand it is a work in progress  (though I agree completely about preview ticket prices being far too high!). I also think that producers/creatives behind the show will sensibly keep an eye on threads like this to get a feel of the feedback.  WoS forums also don't have the readership of the telegraph website - so comments here aren't likely to influence sales much.  

It feels like this article is breaking one of the conventions of preview periods - though at least it acknowledges it is still being developed.  

Personally I don't like reading about shows until I've seen them.  I do my best to avoid any reviews (and threads on here), even of established shows until I've seen something myself for the first time.  Then its more fun to catch up with all the opinions to see if they tally with mine.  

I plan to go back to see Charlie in a few months when it has evolved.

#250 Mothers Younger Brother

Mothers Younger Brother

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

I'm very excited to see some photos of the oompa loompas!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users