803 replies to this topic

#251 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1301 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

That article is unbelievable! That's definitely breaking the code for not reviewing a show before opening

#252 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

shows lost the right for special treatment during previews the moment they started charging more or less full price

#253 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1301 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

They aren't charging full price..

#254 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

I don't want to start anything and I have kind of held back but MrBarnaby seems a little too invested in this show which is weird as he/she usually has quite a negative slant on shows from the usual postings.  I am seeing this in July and I hope it is great but by all accounts it seems as though it is not living up to expectations.  Obviously it is in previews so I am sure it will fix any shortcomings but it annoys me when people put down others' views if they don;t agree with them, especially when they have done the same on other threads (Viva Forever?)

#255 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3756 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 02 June 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

They aren't charging full price..

It's close enough. Whether it's £50 or £60, it's still a lot of money for what is a seemingly unfinished show.

#256 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:28 AM

mr barnaby you clearly have some aort of bias towards this show, as has been said youre never normally this positive. and a tenner off is as good as full price. it certainly doesnt reflect a work in progress

#257 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1301 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:16 AM

I'm just looking forward to it.. It's precisely because I didn't like Viva/Bodyguard etc that I really want to like this... God knows there's not much else to look forward to in terms of homegrown musicals . Maybe I'll be disappointed too but I plan on seeing it at the end of previews for sure as changes are obviously happening all the time and I know how critical I am so might as well judge the finished article . But I understand that it is open to the public .. So it is already being judged

#258 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

More production photos

http://broadwayworld...ACTORY-20130604

#259 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostMark_E, on 02 June 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

It seems from reading things one of the main problems is the score. I really wished this would have been up to Hairspray standards but the general buzz is it is far from that.

Does it matter?  I would imagine this is aimed at the child audience who they hope will like tricks, SFX, comedy,  use of kids, and panto costumes. And not people like me, who predate Charlie and found the film dull in the extreme? Its Shrek with more spent on the special effects, and less on vocalists? Do kids  want a musical with striking music and striking singers?  If you had a striking score, wouldn't you need more striking singers to sing it,  and probably to rewrite the story to have some more decent female roles - given thats where a lot of your top singing talent is?

#260 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

I really didn't think the special effects and set was much to write home about, I didn't see anything they couldn't have done on a smaller stage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users