803 replies to this topic

#271 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

Well I haven't seen the show yet but judging by the pic they look great, guess you can't please everyone!

#272 WrightWrites

WrightWrites

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

My main issue with the Oompa Loompas in the photo they've published - and when seeing the show - is that they look so out of proportion.  Of course it's going to be difficult to portray them on stage, but a bit more time on the design to try to make sure they look more 'real' could have been really beneficial.

#273 Ajl

Ajl

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

Actually, seeing the set pics I am actually excited about this more than I have been from people's comments on here. Off to see it next month but from what I've seen I like the cold atmosphere to some of the sets. Yes the scenes may be less technically extravagent than people were expecting but what Drury Lane is good at is providing scale. In terms of the hype around this, i can't honestly say I've noticed it any more hyped up than other big productions from the last few years... The hype it does have comes off the back of the story's legacy rather than any claims that it will be the most technical show ever seen. Don't know what other people's opinions are of this though.

#274 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1307 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

I'm sorry but Lord of the Rings was just some platforms revolving and lifting up and down. I was bored of it within 10 minutes.
If your using that as the benchmark for 'spectacle' then god help us!

I gather that the piece of 'machinery'/ pipes with the Oompa Loompas on it alone is one of the heaviest pieces of scenery flown in London.. Carrying nearly 20 performers.

#275 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

Can anyone tell us how Iris Roberts is? I saw here in both Spelling Bee at the Donmar and Robin Hood at the RSC and thought she was brilliant in both.
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

#276 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:27 PM

Any news on the glass elevator - is it going to be happening or not?

#277 Ronsdivas

Ronsdivas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:theatre/musical theatre/opera/reading/travelling/CD collecting/Disney/my 3 bulldogs: Emma/Edith & Lily

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:30 PM

They need to work on the score and book...and to hell with the glass elevator.

#278 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 04 June 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

I'm sorry but Lord of the Rings was just some platforms revolving and lifting up and down. I was bored of it within 10 minutes.

I gather that the piece of 'machinery'/ pipes with the Oompa Loompas on it alone is one of the heaviest pieces of scenery flown in London.. Carrying nearly 20 performers.
And still he slates everything else, but heralds Charlie.

#279 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:45 PM

Something odd with MrBarnaby .... way too positive about this show compared to his opinions on other shows ... i can only assume you are connected to the show in some way!

#280 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 04 June 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

strongly disgaree and quite disrespectful to the lotr creative team. fine if you didnt like the show but it was far more than a few lifta going up and down, i can only assume you were asleep during the show. LOTR remains the most spectacular thing ive ever seen on stage, the set, illusions, costumes, it was pure theatre

im not sure how one set piece being the heaviest is meant to impress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users