• Please log in to reply
803 replies to this topic

#281 Ajl

Ajl

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:08 AM

I'm actually with MrBarnaby on this one - I'm really looking forward to seeing Charlie, but have absolutely no interest in Viva or Bodyguard. As far as LOTR goes, I loved it! And it was spectacular, but there was little there in the way of scenery. The stage was the technical part of it...there were a lot of drapes, sheets and basic elements used to create the different locations. Like I say though, I did love it! And was blown away by it.

#282 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:24 AM

Thata true but often simple can still provide spectacle, look at les mis, phantom, wicked, war horse etc. spectacle doesnt have to mean lots of things on stage, its all about being creative and theatrical and thats what makes theatre so wonderful.

im also very interested in charlie and have been for years and cant wait to see it but there is a lot of mixed comments coming out and the set pics dont hugely inspire

#283 Ajl

Ajl

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:48 AM

Then we agree :-)

#284 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

Yeah I guess I meant there were a number of moments of innovation in LOTR that made me feel like I was seeing something original, the score wasn't great but it looked new and exciting. Charlie is entertaining but not visually exciting, there are no coup de theatre moments. The Oompa Loompas should have been the big thing but I'm sure I saw something like them on the generation game when I was a kid. I'm glad you're all excited for it and look forward to hearing your opinions!

#285 Palatio

Palatio

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

I finally got to see it. I enjoyed it but that is about it. I just had this feeling of "seen it, don't need to go again" which is a shame I love seeing things that make me want to go back again and again.

For me the greatest let down was the music. It was serviceable at best but there was not one impressive number among the new songs. A big problem!! and a surprise from these two who can really write some gloriously infectious show numbers. But not even a mere hint at this in their score.

If the music were better this show really could be a hit.

#286 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

No I'm not connected to the show! I just happen to be someone who has wanted to see this story musicalised on stage and never dreamt it would be done by such a string creative team. I'm not a bitter old queen or out of work slagging off a major new show after one performance .. But am genuinely excited to see it ESP after the crapness (in my opinion) of Viva and The Bodyguard. There is so little else to look forward to in the west end and I think everyone just needs to remember that new shows get tweaked majorly in previews and this show has 6 weeks of previews. I don't care whether they are charging full price of not, if you are a more clued up theatre goer and want to pull a show apart , maybe leave it till the end of previews. I'd never have seen a first preview of a big new musical as they change so much.

If I see it and hate it, I'll eat my words of course. But hopefully that won't be the case.

#287 Rick2010

Rick2010

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

Have heard the elevator went in tonight, and a couple more tricks/ scenes going in friday ;o) Anyone who went tonight?

#288 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:22 PM

I've just read some great things in twitter from people who saw it.. Many saying how amazing it looked.. Hoorah!!

#289 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

LOTR was a real theatrical event. Whether Charlie is remains to be seen

#290 Ajl

Ajl

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

Ooo exciting if this is true about the elevator!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users