#301 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

Spolier Post!!!!

Also forgot to say i didn't really enjoy the show at all. I found the score to be bland and not memorable in the slightest, the only song i can remember is Pure Imagination and that was from the film. The cast are very good, although i found Hodge as Wonka quite average. I would much have preferred a quirkier take on the role like in the two films, he seemed to just be a man who spoke too quickly and seemed totally bored showing around the winners.
The children in the show were excellent the night we saw it, although some of the lyrics in Violet's introduction song did seem to be slightly mumbled at points. The 4 parents are great, with Jasna and Iris giving brilliant performances.
The sets are big but nothing spectacular, my favourite set was for the song Pure Imagination with all the stars in the background and over the proscenium arch.
I thought the first act dragged, there is only so much you can do for an hour in which all you do is meet the ticket winners. Also the opening 5 minute projection on the making of chocolate is boring, it would have been much better to open the show with a big ensemble number to draw your audience in. The second act is the better of the two but its over too quickly, you get ushered from one room to the next, no lickable wallpaper interludes, just one ride in a lift that went on far too long for the audience to enjoy after a while.
The Oompa Lumpas are very funny, some of the costumes are brilliant and the idea to have some of them on platform boots during the blueberry scene was hilarious, as well as my personal favourite of one carrying a box with another inside it.

To sum up, it was not a good show, the songs fall flat and frankly the grandparents one in the beginning was far too long and boring. The book moves too slowly, but then again there is nothing to write about. It feels generally quite cold and doesn't have the inviting charm that Matilda seems to exude. One that i wont be giving a repeat viewing after previews to, because for me it needs a lot of changing, more than a preview period allows.
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

#302 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

Wow!
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#303 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

I believe it went in Thursday night!

#304 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

Theatrefan14, was the elevator in when you went? Or has anyone else been since it went in?

#305 Rick2010

Rick2010

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

We went this evening. The elevator rises out of the stage right area, Willy and Charlie get in it, and it rises up and slightly over the audience. Was a nice touch. As everyone else has said, the first half is too slow, unmemorable songs, second half is much better.

#306 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

View PostRick2010, on 08 June 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

We went this evening. The elevator rises out of the stage right area, Willy and Charlie get in it, and it rises up and slightly over the audience. Was a nice touch. As everyone else has said, the first half is too slow, unmemorable songs, second half is much better.

Thanks so much for eltting us know :)  so it doesnt come out around the audience like was suggested.

#307 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

God, I'm well not looking forward to this. From what Iv read on here, u walk in and it's a slaughterhouse of Shitness. The music? Shit. The sets? Shit. The kids? Not shit but still shit.

The first half is uncolourful and long. The second half is too colourful and short.  The paper plane bit is magical unless u can see the wire, and then it's like being told Santa is a rapist.

We hate the theatre for not smelling of chocolate. We hate MnM world FOR smelling of chocolate. We r pretty sure Hodge's performance isn't Wilder's, nor Depp's but we ain't certain.

Vivian obviously isn't 90. The glass lift is/isn't needed. Pure Imagination is the only song we will enjoy.

Basically only a pigeon with a limp would enjoy this twaddle.
I'm in the gods on 13th July. Il let u know what I hate about it shortly after.

Postscript: I'm white, gay, poor working class.

Postpostscript: if u dislike what I have written then its just fond satire. I love this site to death but is completely up its own bottom at times :)

#308 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:12 AM

View PostMrs Lovett, on 08 June 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

God, I'm well not looking forward to this. From what Iv read on here, u walk in and it's a slaughterhouse of Shitness. The music? Shit. The sets? Shit. The kids? Not shit but still shit.

The first half is uncolourful and long. The second half is too colourful and short.  The paper plane bit is magical unless u can see the wire, and then it's like being told Santa is a rapist.

We hate the theatre for not smelling of chocolate. We hate MnM world FOR smelling of chocolate. We r pretty sure Hodge's performance isn't Wilder's, nor Depp's but we ain't certain.

Vivian obviously isn't 90. The glass lift is/isn't needed. Pure Imagination is the only song we will enjoy.

Postpostscript: if u dislike what I have written then its just fond satire. I love this site to death but is completely up its own bottom at times :)

Oh this is one of the funniest posts i have read on here :)

#309 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

The elevator sounds like the car in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

#310 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:21 AM

View PostMrs Lovett, on 08 June 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

lol have you been to broadwayworld.com's board? now THATs an experience (never going there again)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users