803 replies to this topic

#311 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

Yeah it sounds just like the car in Chitty... Except it doesn't have seats... Wings... Steering wheel... And Is in fact a glass elevator.

I agree this thread is getting ridiculous.

#312 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

Mrs Lovett... Best post. EVER.

#313 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

i clearly meant in how its done

#314 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

From what I've heard, it looks really magical. I might have to give in and try to get tickets this week

#315 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

So I saw this last night and enjoyed it. By the time I got home it was a little too late to post and I needed the day to reflect.

The show pretty much met my expectations and in some cases exceeded it and answered some of my questions. I agree with other posters in this thread, the second half of the show moves at a quicker pace, is more colourful and dynamic. That said, given that the show is (primarily) about Charlie it's necessary to establish who he is, his plight and how he interacts with his family.

Although I never been a fan of the Quinten Blake drawings, I didn't mind the introductory slide show, harping back to the original book. I also liked the lighting and the sets. The plane worked- not sure how they did that. I also really enjoyed both the TV presenters and the way each Golden Ticket winner was introduced to the audience. Even though you know it's coming, I got excited when Charlie won his ticket.

For me the absolute stand out performance was Mrs. Gloop. I have never seen Douglas Hodge on stage before and now feel lucky to have done so however, despite his performance, for me she was just brilliant! Seriously, I have been thinking about it all day.

I liked Augustus Gloop and the way his fate was staged. I'm not sure who we had on as Violet Beauregarde but she was so dynamic. So feisty! I realise this is just a matter of my perception but I never envisioned her as being of colour but it worked. I also like the characterisation of her father and her entourage.

I was also impressed with the way that Veruca Salt kept her character throughout, constantly striking ballet poses. My criticism is that although I had a great seat, as each child was introduced I really struggled to understand the lyrics of their song. The parents were fine, it was just the kids- Mike Teevee in particular; although his fate was well staged. Maybe this will be clearer on the cast recording. Personally, as in the book and in the Jonny Depp film, I would have l liked to see each kid come out 'fixed'- Augustus thinner, Violet squeezed out, Veruca soiled with rubbish and Mike stretched tall.

The Oopma Loompas were very well done. Very clever. It got a laugh when Mrs. Teevee said "Oh, little people- that can't be good" knowing that something was about to happen to her son. The stand out routine performed by the Oopma Loompas was after the departure of Violet Beauregarde in the platform boots. Although the effect of the neon suits ofter the departure of Mike Teevee was incredibly effective.

As the story was coming to an end I found myself anticipating Pure Imagination and found once or twice the chiming of the introductory notes. It really was magic as the glass elevator hovered above the audience. Throughout the performance there were some pretty ingenious special effects.

At intermission I turned around to find five rows of children, eight to each row who, with the exception one or two rustling of a crisp packet, seemed pretty quite and captivated.

This is a fine family show. This is gonna be a HUGE hit!
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#316 kcsevenoaks

kcsevenoaks

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

Have to fully agree with Anthony's comments. I thought it was fantastic.

#317 pepem

pepem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:14 AM

Went last night.

Loved Act 1 - Thought it all rather thrilling and magical, until arrival of Wonka at the end when either the song or Hodge's performance left me cold.    Set, lighting, projection, costume all brilliant in Act 1.

Act 2 - definitely not as good as Act 1, some reasonable set pieces but they copped out on the big chocolate room reveal, in my opinion.  We needed an "ooh" from the audience and the mound at the front of the stage just didn't impress.

Lots of laughs for the Oompah Loompas, very clever.  

Whomever played Charlie Bucket was excellent, very sweet, I had a lump in my throat when he got his golden ticket.   No such feelings of emotion in Act 2.

There's still time to work this before opening.   Good luck to the production crew.

#318 voyagerweb

voyagerweb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

A couple of a major spoilers from my afternoon, Mendes was sat in row K for the matinee today. I thought it was the most imaginative thing i have seen in London, story or not the set and tells the story.

Spoilers do spoil so dont read if not ready for that step.
Spoiler

#319 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

View Postvoyagerweb, on 15 June 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

A couple of a major spoilers from my afternoon, Mendes was sat in row K for the matinee today. I thought it was the most imaginative thing i have seen in London, story or not the set and tells the story.

Spoilers do spoil so dont read if not ready for that step.
Spoiler

Thank you for all this info :) much appreciated :)

#320 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

The info about Mendes being sat in row K?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users