803 replies to this topic

#351 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

I think (and it was hard to tell from where I was sitting, front row Grand Circle) that it comes over the pit and the first couple of rows of the stalls. It's very slow, and it floats about there before coming back down. You can hear a release of pressure as itjust leaves the ground, and also as it lands. As for its height, it goes 2/3 of the way up the proscenium. The whole stage is pitch black, with the exception of stars on the proc, back wall and the floor. It's rather effective, even if the elevator does look like a cheap tardis.

#352 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

so like how chitty flew?

#353 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

I think Chitty was faster and came a touch further out. And it had better music during that sequence, with people below waving. But mechanically, I think it's very similar. All the lighting is self contained too.

#354 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

If this show had great songs it would be one of the most magical nights out you could have.  Unfortunately it doesn't, so while it's still very entertaining, and visually stunning, it doesn't go beyond that.  It's a real pity.

#355 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

I saw this last night, and while it is a very enjoyable evening (kids will love it) for me it fell a bit flat. As others have mentioned the score is quite bland and if you asked me to hum a tune other than Pure Imagination, I couldn't.

I really liked the way each of the kids was introduced, it was very well done, though the Mike TeeVee song was just bizarre.

The Oompaloompas were a disappointment for me, this kind of technique has been done to death, I hoped they might have come up with something a bit more original, and why the Bernie Clifton style squirrels? Wouldn't people inside squirrel costumes suffice?

I thought when we are first shown inside the factory was a disappointment too, this should have been the wow moment but it looked a bit naff, it reminded me of the Wizard of Oz at the Palladium. The use of projection throughout was very well done though.

I liked Hodge as Wonka, though would be interested to see it again in a few months to see how he develops the character.

The major thing that irked me was the audibility, a LOT of the time lyrics could not be understood.

Despite the obscene amount of money they must have spent on staging this, one of the most impressive moments is a simple paper plane flying on a wire up to the balcony! Though I must say the glass elevator did look amazing, I actually got goosebumps during Pure Imagination.

There is lots to enjoy and I had a nice night but it's not a fantastic musical.

#356 n3mis3s

n3mis3s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

i found this to be the most Inivative piece of theatre iv witnessed in recent years. all be it the music is "bland" its not rubbish - illusions cast and show are of aamzing quality - its a must see. at least once. im not rushing back but im glad to say i seen it - for free. perks of working for Cam Mac

#357 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

n3mis3s, I'd rethink/delete the last sentence of your post there, for so very many reasons.

#358 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

View Postn3mis3s, on 20 June 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

i found this to be the most Inivative piece of theatre iv witnessed in recent years. all be it the music is "bland" its not rubbish - illusions cast and show are of aamzing quality - its a must see. at least once. im not rushing back but im glad to say i seen it - for free. perks of working for Cam Mac

If suggest seeing it free clouded ones judgement. Exactly what is innovative?
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#359 RudyGrey

RudyGrey

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

For an enticing glimpse of the backstage area:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-22989063

#360 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member