#361 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

View Postn3mis3s, on 20 June 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

i found this to be the most Inivative piece of theatre iv witnessed in recent years. all be it the music is "bland" its not rubbish - illusions cast and show are of aamzing quality - its a must see. at least once. im not rushing back but im glad to say i seen it - for free. perks of working for Cam Mac
Are you Michael le Poe trench?

#362 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

View Postitsuckstobeme, on 20 June 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

The major thing that irked me was the audibility, a LOT of the time lyrics could not be understood.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. It was, esp in the fast numbers (such as Violet's rap number) a mish mash of words.

#363 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

So I finally saw the show last night... And (thank god after my defence of it)- I thought it was really lovely. I wasn't disappointed in any way. I'm not going to bother comparing it in any way to Matilda (which I loved also) as that is lazy and pointless but I thought it was a really spectacular huge show, perhaps the most lavish I've ever seen in London.

I loved how Act 1 was monochrome and then Act 2 bursts into colour. I also found Act one remarkably snappy considering most of the time is spent watching 4 grandparents in bed. The boy playing Charlie was terrific and when he got the golden ticket I was genuinely moved. LOVED the introduction of the 4 kids.. Thought it was wittily done and helped break up the moments in the bucket shack nicely.

I thought the Oompa Loompas were wonderfully done. I've certainly never seen that effect used before and I really enjoyed how they achieved them slightly differently every time they re-appeared.

The glass elevator was magical and the use of Pure Imaginatiom at that point I found incredibly moving. Kids around me were totally wowed by it.. And by everything in Act 2 I felt.

Performance wise I thought Doug Hodge was great... Showing real  showmanship. Nigel Planer was a perfect Grandpa Joe and fit be the other notable people were Iris Roberts as Mrs Teavee and Kate Graham as the news reporter in Act 1.

I guess the tricky thing is that it really is a show of 2 halves.. You've got to establish Charlie lives in a dreary town and is poor.. So he really wants to win that ticket .. And then the factory is the total opposite to that. I loved that the end of Act one leaves you poised to enter the factory and then Act 2 inside it moves at a rapid pace.

Chatting to an usher in the interval , they said it had gone through so many changes in previews that it bears little relation to how it opened. What a shame the ones who didn't like it here saw it so early, maybe you'd like it more now in its finished state.

#364 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

That was a very helpful review, linked with the others recently given. I will go see ASAP

#365 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

Do.. And I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and the audience last night!

#366 WrightWrites

WrightWrites

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 22 June 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

Chatting to an usher in the interval , they said it had gone through so many changes in previews that it bears little relation to how it opened. What a shame the ones who didn't like it here saw it so early, maybe you'd like it more now in its finished state.

Having seen the first preview and not being wowed by it I do admit that my initial dislike to it may be a bit harsh - however my main thing was the score rather than the production and I can't see how that could change a whole lot.  But seeing what's being said on here over the last few weeks has made me more welcome to the idea of maybe seeing it again a few months down the line.

#367 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

I enjoye fit, but I've no inclination to see it again. Maybe in a year or two, if they save offers. I just wish part 2 had been as strong as part 1.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#368 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

I don't know when you saw it Kevin but by all accounts most of the work in previews has happened to tightening Act 2 plus of course the proper elevator is in now

#369 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

In delighted MrBarnaby enjoyed it. I would have missed him if he'd had to go into hiding after hating it.

#370 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

I'm not sure anyone on here would miss me quite frankly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users