#383 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

Saw this last night.

I thought it was much better than the majority of the posts in this thread would imply.

Thought it did live up to the technical side, with great sets that didn't look cheep (which is difficult to do). Thought the book was great, and very funny. Really enjoyed Hodge as Wonka, a different style to previous interpretations, though did seem to take a fair bit of inspiration from the current Doctor in Dr Who. The tricks were good, and loves how the various ways in which the ompa loompas (sp?) were done. Don't think the opening video outstayed its welcome and loved the way each winner was introduced.  

Issues were with score/sound and lyrics. With a child cast, getting the kids heard over the orchestra meant the music felt too quiet until we entered the factory (and the numbers were sung by adults). This score isn't great, but reduced to that level it makes every song forgettable. And lyrically it is just too wordy in places to be comprehended in such a large theatre.

7.5/10 for me. Any other year I think it would be in with a good chance of winning best musical, but I think Once and Mormon offer competition that Charlie can't match. Easily beats all shows nominated for best musical this year though.

#384 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

David Greig's book is very funny in places. It works on two levels: there's adult and child humour in there. Lyrically too it's very strong.... well, the bits I could understand, anyway. But since the sound design has yet to achieve a real clarity, lyrics are lost. I hope they release a cast recording so that I can a) hear the score again... I suspect it'll grow on me (though I have found myself humming the squirrel song now and then) and b ) get to grips with the lyrics.

#385 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

Press night! Lets see what they think - 4 stars I reckon.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#386 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

i reckon a mix of 3-4 stars with main criticism of the score. but im hoping it gets raves

#387 sushisamba

sushisamba

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

3 stars from Libby Purves in the Times (subscription only)

http://www.thetimes....icle3800210.ece

#388 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

I have a feeling they are in for a bit of a rough night! :/
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#389 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

The reviews are generally 3-4 stars, saying the songs are un memorable, the show is a bit too much yet lacks in magic - with the paper airplane being a genuinely touching moment.

"What’s more, the scene in which he writes a letter to Wonka, makes it into a paper dart and throws it out across the audience so that it flies up into the gods is somehow more exciting and affecting than any of the more spectacular tricks that follow.
In fact, the second half is little more than a sequence of “get the brats” as Charlie’s unpleasant companions on the guided tour all meet sticky ends in the sweet factory. The various calamities are staged with panache, and the special effects involving killer squirrels and those fearsome pygmies the Oompa-Loompas are highly ingenious. But there is no disguising the fact that the show is repetitive and, with the exception of Charlie and his game old Grandpa Joe (Nigel Planer), heartless. But then, Dahl described children as “little bastards” and he certainly knew how to pander to their darker side."

Billington echoes my thoughts entirely; the 2nd act is a bit repetitive and Greig did not a huge amount to add to the story the same way Kelly did for Matilda.

It will still run for years, though. It's a great piece of theatre and its nice to have this visual feast on stage at long last.
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#390 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

I saw this last night- final preview and all that...should be as ready as it's ever going to be....final night prior to press night etc.

Totally cringe-worthy to sit through and I can only pray that Mendes does not end up at the NT.

The second half was so ridiculous that i couldn't quite believe the absurdity of what I was witnessing. The sets look like CBBC programmes and the miss-mash of "technology" they have used with totally outdated aspects like the stuffed squirrels (quite possibly the worst thing I have seen on a stage in the last decade) did not work.

Staging does not have to be spectacular in terms of cost to be effective and I thought a lot of this was backward in fact. I much preferred the staging element of The Bodyguard.

What made this worse was that I really excited at the end of the first half and really anticipating the factory. I have to say that the first set in the garden is one of the most laughable I have seen in a long long time and the chocolate river is really quite pathetic. Visually I was so let down.

I did like the TV set and the introduction of the contestants but (as many people have said) many of the lyrics are garbled and rushed.

You can pay £65 and go to a Disney park for the day which far surpasses what is on offer here. In fact I wonder how this would have turned out if Disney had been involved...a lot better I think.

It's low class panto for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users