803 replies to this topic

#391 pepem

pepem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

Totally agree about the Chocolate Fctory reveal, the biggest let down of the night!

#392 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:25 AM

Ah Parsley.. You really xxx x xxxx.

Leave out the insults, please.

#393 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

Sorry.. That was rude of me. But to be so utterly damning of it and call it a Panto? Really? And then say you prefer the staging in The Bodyguard? THAT is laughable.

This has way more ingenuity and imagination in the staging than the bodyguard.

#394 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:04 AM

5* review from Digital Spy
4* from WOS

Seems like there is going to be quite a bit of variety...
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#395 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

Very mixed reviews.. The Daily mail is a shocker.. But then it probably always was going to be.
Good one in the Guardian

#396 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 26 June 2013 - 02:34 AM, said:

Sorry.. That was rude of me. But to be so utterly damning of it and call it a Panto? Really? And then say you prefer the staging in The Bodyguard? THAT is laughable.

This has way more ingenuity and imagination in the staging than the bodyguard.
Well maybe people just have different opinions to you, and it’s about time you learnt to respect that?

Just because you like something doesn’t mean everyone else has to.

Frankly, reading all of this thread is almost putting me off seeing the show, because it seems as if a negative opinion about this show isn’t allowed!  I get that people can become fanatical about shows they like, but sometimes it’s taken too far…

#397 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

View Postposter J, on 26 June 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

Well maybe people just have different opinions to you, and itís about time you learnt to respect that?

Just because you like something doesnít mean everyone else has to.

Frankly, reading all of this thread is almost putting me off seeing the show, because it seems as if a negative opinion about this show isnít allowed!  I get that people can become fanatical about shows they like, but sometimes itís taken too farÖ

Well Said Poster J !!

MrBarnaby you need to realise not everyone will like this, and everyone is entitled to there opinion, you can be very negative about other shows on this forum, this is a public forum where people can say what they want and that should be respected!

#398 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

Considering how many negative opinions (which your entitled to) that you post, you should respect others

#399 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

I was at last Wednesday's matinee

Does it have Imagination? Yes. Is it Pure? No.

Low Matinee

http://shallicompare...ory-review.html

Here is a contribution to this spoiler thread

As a Roald Dahl fan I loved Quentin Blake's drawings in the opening film.

I too wished there was a big number when Charlie found the ticket, and the song when Grandpa Joe gets out of bed was slow. Perhaps it was taking its time as Joe finds his feet, but in the book the character literally leaps out of bed.

The waterfall is alright and there were some lighting effects to suggest flowing chocolate.

Violet's transformation was the least impressive. The mirror ball effect might as well had not been there because the reflections can barely be seen, and whilst the explosion was effective I was left mystified at what just happened. Was she floating above the audience? How did she get there in the first place? I even heard a girl asking her father what just happened.

Loved the references to the different inventions, such as the squares that look round.

I really liked the imagination room scene. It gave Charlie a reason why he deserved to win the Chocolate Factory; he had tons of imagination and he deserved the factory more than the other children, as Wonka puts it he is something from nothing

I prefer the special effects in Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang but broadly speaking the production values are amazing, and families who have not seen those musicals will get their moneys worth with this.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#400 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

[Post deleted]

Please do not post clips, or links to clips, to Charlie on WoS following a request from the producers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users