803 replies to this topic

#401 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

I hadnt noticed Wonkas face in the factory part of the logo before until the end of that (very good) EPK

#402 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostTitan, on 26 June 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

I hadnt noticed Wonkas face in the factory part of the logo before until the end of that (very good) EPK

Yeah I hadn't noticed that either until @DruryLaneTours on twitter said can you see his face in the logo. Took me like half an hour to see it haha

#403 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

Well all good reviews I would say apart from Quentin Letts in the Daily Mail - but who takes any notice of anything Quentin Letts or the Daily Mail have to say anyway. It is clearly a lavish show that ticks all the boxes for a family trip to the theatre (albeit expensive). Spectacular sets and effects, a great story and of course kids on stage - it ticks all the boxes and does what it says on the tin.

#404 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

Just saw the trailer, looks great, and already im hmming one of the songs, think its called (Dont pinch me charlie) really looking forward to seeing it.

#405 Loopyjohn

Loopyjohn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

Goodness - that showreel reveals a lot!  Glad I saw the show before watching that.  I also hadn't noticed Wonka's head hidden in the logo.  It's a similar trick that Dewynters used on the original Miss Saigon logo (face in helicopter slipstream).  Once you have seen it, you always see it.

The reviews summed up my feelings for the show.  It looks great but musically this was a disappointment for me.  It's a huge task to trasfer a well known film that everyone knows so well to the stage.  I felt Mary Poppins made that transition better.  In Mary Poppins, people seemed to like the mix of the original songs they knew plus enough new material by Stiles & Drewe (which generally fitted well with the original stuff) & further character development (e.g. of the Mrs Banks character) to enhance what they knew from the film.  

I'm sure it will do good business for a few years and I would imagine it needs to do very well just to cover the running costs.

#406 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

Well I will certainly be going back to see it. Here's hoping it has a long run. If I was a child seeing this I know I'd be in seventh heaven.

#407 MrTRobz

MrTRobz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

Looks pretty good judging from the showreel! :)

It is interesting to see they have not strictly racially cast Violet too that could be nice to see what each actress brings to the role. :)
Shows Seen

[LONDON]
Wicked
Oliver!
Wizard of Oz
Shrek

[BELFAST]
Joseph Tour
Grease Tour
Buddy Tour
Legally Blonde Tour
Hairspray Tour

[DUBLIN]
Chitty, chitty, Bang bang Tour
Hairspray Tour
Lion King Tour

To be seen

[DUBLIN]
Wicked Tour

[LONDON]
Charlie and the Chocolate factory
Matilda

#408 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostLoopyjohn, on 26 June 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

Goodness - that showreel reveals a lot!  Glad I saw the show before watching that.  I also hadn't noticed Wonka's head hidden in the logo.  It's a similar trick that Dewynters used on the original Miss Saigon logo (face in helicopter slipstream).  Once you have seen it, you always see it.

The reviews summed up my feelings for the show.  It looks great but musically this was a disappointment for me.  It's a huge task to trasfer a well known film that everyone knows so well to the stage.  I felt Mary Poppins made that transition better.  In Mary Poppins, people seemed to like the mix of the original songs they knew plus enough new material by Stiles & Drewe (which generally fitted well with the original stuff) & further character development (e.g. of the Mrs Banks character) to enhance what they knew from the film.  

I'm sure it will do good business for a few years and I would imagine it needs to do very well just to cover the running costs.

When it comes to logos
Nobody beats fed ex once you've seen the arrow you never not see it

#409 Morten Aagaard

Morten Aagaard

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

I'm going to London in August. For me the music is very important in musicals, and I really like Andrew Lloyd Webbers music. Would you recommend Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to an ALW-fan?
Morten Aagaard (DK)

WEST END:
Phantom of the Opera x17 | Love Never Dies x3 | Lion King x2 | Wicked x3 | Oliver x2 | Evita x2 | Wizard of Oz | We Will Rock You | Sister Act | Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat | Sound of Music | Les Miserables | Sunset Boulevard | Spamalot | Thriller Live | Avenue Q | Hair | Spamalot | Hairspray | Billy Elliot | Priscilla Queen of the Desert | Dirty Dancing | Sweeney Todd | Matilda x2 | Top Hat | Book of Mormon | Stephen Ward | Once | Charlie and the Chocolate Factory |

FRINGE:
Aspects of Love (Menier Chocolate Factory) | The Color Purple (Menier Chocolate Factory) | Titanic (Southwark Playhouse) x2 | Urinetown (St. James) | The Beautiful Game (Union) |

BROADWAY:
Phantom of the Opera x2 | Evita | Jesus Christ Superstar |

COPENHAGEN:
Phantom of the Opera x4 | Les Miserables x2 | Beauty and the Beast | Love Never Dies |

#410 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostMorten Aagaard, on 26 June 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

I'm going to London in August. For me the music is very important in musicals, and I really like Andrew Lloyd Webbers music. Would you recommend Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to an ALW-fan?

If he's rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users