803 replies to this topic

#421 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

The New York Times wasnt overly impressed. And unlike London critics, the NYT can still carry some weight in NYC.

Id imagine some tinkering before a Broadway run

http://theater.nytim...anted=all&_r=1

#422 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 27 June 2013 - 12:00 AM, said:

Will you only see a show if the music sounds like Andrew Lloyd Webber music?!
I'm not that fussy, but I will only see a musical if the music's good, it is supposed to be a musical after all.  That's what's putting me off after reading reviews of this, the score doesn't seem to be anything worth writing home about.

#423 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

One should listen to an album if the music's good - that's purely what you're judging.  

A good musical is the perfect marriage of music, lyrics, orchestration, lighting, acting, casting, design, choreography and book.  

Whilst some people may not like the music because it's not "hummable" (which is a completely stupid way of judging whether a SONG is good) - others may love the score.  

A lot of theatre people think ALW is a terrible composer, capable of writing half a melody in every show (and often stealing it from someone in the first place).  

A tune is only "hummable" if it's heard lots of time, which is why ALW's stuff is hummable, because he overuses the same tune in every show.  This is fact and cannot be argued.

People leave humming PURE IMAGINATION from Charlie because it's been in engrained in conscious since 1971, whereas the other 11 songs we're treated to during Charlie are all brand new.  

What Charlie does well is songs for the character and the situation, which is what musical theatre is about.  There are plenty of book songs, or breakaway songs...  Pinch Me Charlie is perfectly tuneful, as is Must be Believed to Be Seen.  

I think one should see any show they wish - not because of what other people have said.  Theatre's about SEEING - not just listening - and this show really must be "believed to be seen".
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#424 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostMusicalTalk, on 26 June 2013 - 10:31 PM, said:

Attachment image.jpg

There we go.

Oh, now I see it! Hmm, very obscure

Thanks
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#425 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

Actually Musical Talk i saw Hairspray without having heard or seen anything about it and left with a few songs in my head and being instantly memorable (obviously not word for word). So you dont need to have heard something over and over.

Also, the fact is the movie already had a strong score, which people loved, and this adds to the pressue.  If you are going to do something different, those new songs need to stand with (or above) what has gone before.  Many peoples opinion is that they dont, and those opinions are just as valid as the people who like the score.  Songs dont have to me hummable but they do need to have a point, be somewhat memorable and move the action forward (and not drag) otherwise they may as well just have it as a play.

"One should listen to an album if the music's good - that's purely what you're judging"
"Whilst some people may not like the music because it's not "hummable" (which is a completely stupid way of judging whether a SONG is good) - others may love the score. "

Its pompus and disrespectful comments like this which is why I stopped listening to MT podcast ages ago.

#426 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

I guess you're saying MT leaves you mt.
My view is that I have to like some songs in a musical, because I'm musically minded, and will end up humming, singing and playing on MP3 songs from a show I've seen many times over. Just my view, but I didn't like the songs in two shows I've seen, and both shows are not even a distant memory.

#427 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostMusicalTalk, on 27 June 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

One should listen to an album if the music's good - that's purely what you're judging.  

A good musical is the perfect marriage of music, lyrics, orchestration, lighting, acting, casting, design, choreography and book.  

Whilst some people may not like the music because it's not "hummable" (which is a completely stupid way of judging whether a SONG is good) - others may love the score.  

A tune is only "hummable" if it's heard lots of time, which is why ALW's stuff is hummable, because he overuses the same tune in every show.  This is fact and cannot be argued.

Maybe one should realise that people look for different things in musicals, and that another's opinion is no less valid than one's own?

Enough of the pompous third person anyway.  A good musical is a good musical for a particular person if it satisfies what they think is important.  I personally put much more stock on the music than the lighting, for example, because I have a long background in music and in terms of the arts there’s not much that I would consider more important.  That’s personal preference, doesn’t make me more right than anyone else, but certainly doesn’t make your idea of a good musical the definitive one either.

I never said a good score has to be hummable – the score to Once certainly isn’t, but in my opinion it’s one of the finest in the West End at the minute, and I wouldn’t call the score to Les Mis hummable either.  In fact I don’t even agree with your definition of hummable or your categorisation of Lloyd Webber’s stuff in that way, so no, it’s not fact and it can be argued.  But this is not the place to have a debate about Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals.

Who are you to say that I am purely judging the music anyway?  I stated that I am will only see a show if the music's good because music is important to me.  I didn’t say it was the only important thing, it just happened to be what was being discussed.   I never said all the music has to be good, or that it has to be outstanding, but given that some of the performances have not been hugely acclaimed, and the pacing and set design have also been criticised, then I don’t think it’s unreasonable for me to be wary about spending money on a full price ticket for this show – it doesn’t appear, in its current state, to be something I’d be willing to pay that much for.  So I’ll probably wait until it discounts or is changed, like I’ve done with waiting for Heather Headley to leave The Bodyguard as I don’t rate her at all.

So get off your high horse please, people like different things and are fully entitled to not want to see this show or be unsure of whether it’s worth full price.  Just because the music means a lot to me doesn’t make my opinion any less valid than yours.

#428 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

View PostMusicalTalk, on 27 June 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

A lot of theatre people think ALW is a terrible composer, capable of writing half a melody in every show (and often stealing it from someone in the first place).  

People leave humming PURE IMAGINATION from Charlie because it's been in engrained in conscious since 1971, whereas the other 11 songs we're treated to during Charlie are all brand new.  

What Charlie does well is songs for the character and the situation, which is what musical theatre is about.  There are plenty of book songs, or breakaway songs...  Pinch Me Charlie is perfectly tuneful, as is Must be Believed to Be Seen.  

I think one should see any show they wish - not because of what other people have said.  Theatre's about SEEING - not just listening - and this show really must be "believed to be seen".

I disagree - with most the content and implications I've no idea what I'm talking about. Personally I believe musical theatre is at it's best when there are one or two great songs throughout that make the audience go 'wow'. This has nothing anywhere near a 'Defy Gravity', 'I Dreamed A Dream' or a 'Music Of The Night' - stand out songs that support the other good musical numbers within the score.

Of course, there are plenty of musicals that don't that one - but I find they tend to be comedic musicals such as Avenue Q and Book of Mormon, but that's okay because they create a positive vibe through the humour involved.

I'm not saying that the score is bad for Charlie, but it's average in that theres nothing spectacular within it - and that is why Pure Imagination sticks out like a sore thumb.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#429 voyagerweb

voyagerweb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

any news of a OCR

#430 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

Am I alone in not thinking it's a great original movie score? The only decent songs IMO are Pure Imagination and Candy Man.. We're not talking a classic score like Poppins here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users