803 replies to this topic

#431 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

Looking at the Show Reel posted a few pages back, the elevator does seem to resemble some sort of tardis but couldn't they just change the colour and not make it blue?

#432 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

id say ive got a golden ticket, candy man, i want it now, pure imagination are all just aa good as anything in poppins

the only song i dont like is cheer up charlie

#433 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

is wonka chocolate on sale at the theatre yet? seems such an obvious product placement

#434 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

Musical Talk: it's a musical. The clue is in the name. Obviously there are many other elements, as you state, but a musical is mainly remembered for its score, or more accurately, songs. I do agree with you on the front that a great score doesn't have to be hummable on first hearing. Sondheim is a prime example. But one can tell at first listen whether or not the score is of good quality, and crucially whether it accentuates the emotion - of whatever kind.

In Charlie, the score is serviceable. It rarely lifts the show to new heights. Having watched the EPK several times, I find myself now humming "Golden Dream" - it's a nice little song - but the score overall is a mish mash. It's incoherent in style. Pure Imagination I do agree is 'hummable' partly because we've heard it do many times before. I don't really like it as a song, and I think it needs a lusher orchestration in this show, but it's no doubt a good piece of musical writing.

I hope (and strongly suspect) they will release an OCR as I'd love to listen to the show again. I suspect I will grow to really like many of the songs, but I don't think it's a great musical, despite a rather good libretto by David Greig. And by musical - I should note - I am taking the production out of the equation.

#435 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

double post

#436 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

Yes. There will be an OCR. Marc and Scott are staying for the summer to record it here. Looking forward to it!
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#437 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

Well I for one look forward to owning that recording.

#438 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1090 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

http://www.dailymail...ce-musical.html Oh dear !

#439 Phil B

Phil B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

Saw this tonight. A few opinions:

- the cast was uniformly good. Douglas Hodge was perfect, and the children were all extremely impressive.

- you could see where the money had gone on the sets - they were extremely lavish. Maybe lacking an extra spark of imagination, but that's probably being picky. The elevator was not present, probably due to yesterday's problems. I found that really disappointing - this is not a preview, and I wasn't paying preview prices. I therefore expect the finale to be there.

- mixed feelings about the score. Some good numbers. Surprised there hasn't been more talk about the fact that one of the songs in the first act is extremely similar to don't break the rules from catch me if you can. Would like to give the score a few more listens before forming a proper opinion.

- I enjoyed the opening animation. It didn't drag. I also thought that act 1 was well paced, and the decision to save the factory for act 2 was a good one. If the show dragged at any time, it was the end of act 2.

- I agree with people who say that the show is lacking heart. Some stronger characterization and the odd big emotional show-stopping song would have helped.

Overall. I enjoyed it and would see it again. A bit more imagination, heart and a working elevator would make it even better

#440 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

Anyone remember Chitty's performance right after the opening night. Chitty would not perform and the show was cancelled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users