Charlie And The Chocolate Factory - The Spoiler ThreadFOR THOSE THAT WANT TO KNOW
Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:53 PM
Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:59 PM
the only song i dont like is cheer up charlie
Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:01 PM
Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:18 PM
In Charlie, the score is serviceable. It rarely lifts the show to new heights. Having watched the EPK several times, I find myself now humming "Golden Dream" - it's a nice little song - but the score overall is a mish mash. It's incoherent in style. Pure Imagination I do agree is 'hummable' partly because we've heard it do many times before. I don't really like it as a song, and I think it needs a lusher orchestration in this show, but it's no doubt a good piece of musical writing.
I hope (and strongly suspect) they will release an OCR as I'd love to listen to the show again. I suspect I will grow to really like many of the songs, but I don't think it's a great musical, despite a rather good libretto by David Greig. And by musical - I should note - I am taking the production out of the equation.
Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:56 PM
- the cast was uniformly good. Douglas Hodge was perfect, and the children were all extremely impressive.
- you could see where the money had gone on the sets - they were extremely lavish. Maybe lacking an extra spark of imagination, but that's probably being picky. The elevator was not present, probably due to yesterday's problems. I found that really disappointing - this is not a preview, and I wasn't paying preview prices. I therefore expect the finale to be there.
- mixed feelings about the score. Some good numbers. Surprised there hasn't been more talk about the fact that one of the songs in the first act is extremely similar to don't break the rules from catch me if you can. Would like to give the score a few more listens before forming a proper opinion.
- I enjoyed the opening animation. It didn't drag. I also thought that act 1 was well paced, and the decision to save the factory for act 2 was a good one. If the show dragged at any time, it was the end of act 2.
- I agree with people who say that the show is lacking heart. Some stronger characterization and the odd big emotional show-stopping song would have helped.
Overall. I enjoyed it and would see it again. A bit more imagination, heart and a working elevator would make it even better
Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:33 AM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users