#461 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostDrP, on 03 July 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

Hmm. I feel a bit ripped off that I didn't see the elevator, particularly as they're now showing it in the trailer. Worth a whingey email to anyone?

I know how you feel! A few years back when I was in college, we went on a trip to NYC. A group of 3 of us decided to go see Wicked - I wasn't a fan of Wicked and was DYING to see Elphaba fly!. Anyway, they only had $121 seats - so we coughed up... We had the u/s Elphaba (who was great anyway!) but they didn't change the belt for her, so for safety reasons, she didn't fly! She just came out and pretended to cast a paralysing spell on everyone! Was completely gutted xD

Although the glass elevator is an iconic scene... I guess you could try your look at complaining about it, but I don't think they'd do a thing.
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#462 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

No - the elevator broke down on Friday night

http://www.dailymail...ce-musical.html

I presume they're just fixing it until it's 110% safe to use in the production.
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#463 DrP

DrP

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

I saw that happen in London once and she just sort of waved her arms about a bit

#464 RudyGrey

RudyGrey

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:35 PM

No glass elevator yet, in this afternoon's matinee... :-(
After travelling from abroad, our family couldn't help but feel a tad disappointed about this.

Greatly enjoyed the show, however! Visually breathtaking, with some terrific finds, and a deliciously charming/sinister Douglas Hodge. Not the absolute magic spark we so enjoyed with Matilda, but still a memorable family day out!

#465 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

I too, would be a bit disappointed/annoyed if the glass elevator was not in the show if I had forked out £60 plus a ticket. I feel the same if the "stars" are not on that performance too.

Now I know the argument about "you've paid to see the show" and not a particular artist but with ticket prices so high to me you should see the FULL show. How far does a show not have to operate? I did see Les Mis once where the revolve failed and the cast had to improvise but carried on -on that occasion quite amusing BUT if effects don't work? If a product in a shop is not "fit for purpose" or faulty the customer is entitled to a refund. How does this work in theatre I wonder where the product on a particular performance may not be as advertised - in this case the floating glass elevator in the trailer?

#466 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

Its a difficult one, and the 'its live theatre' excuse will be less and less of an excuse the more tickets continue to rise.  Charlie is now £70 a ticket for top price, which for a family is a hugh amount of money

#467 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

It is a huge amount of money, yes.  But - it's the same as not getting a refund if a "star" is out of the show and we get the understudy which, is sort of what they do when the elevator doesn't work; the rising platform takes over.
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#468 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

Yes I realise that, and I think most people have always accepted that. However, the more expensive tickets get the less people will be forgiving and the more they will expect for their cash.  There arnt many other purchases in life where you would put up with second best

#469 DrP

DrP

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

Really considering sending a polite complaining letter - anyone know where would be best?

They really shouldn't be using that trailer if the elevator isn't in the show yet

#470 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

Yes, I agree with Titan. The cost of taking a family to see this - you have to expect the show to be as advertised surely? It's like going to Thorpe Park and paying £40 or whatever it is and then finding out 3 big rides are out of action? Is it OK for one ride to be out of action for "maintenance"? If you buy some self assembly furniture and a shelf is missing you would have cause for complaint. If you had seen Chitty and the car did not fly - isn't that an integral part of what you are paying to see? Or do you have to use "pure imagination"?

I just know that if I had paid £70 to see this and the glass elevator at the climax of the show did not "float" I would not be happy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users