803 replies to this topic

#491 RudyGrey

RudyGrey

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:04 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 04 July 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

On a lighter note.. Do they have souvenir brochures yet?

Yes, production programs are for sale at 3 a piece, if I recall correctly. Nice cover, but not much more than production credits, an interview with Nigel Planer, one with Ophelia Dahl, and the usual lots and lots of other shows' advertising for the rest.

Btw, I agree with John_Rebus that the show is probably enjoyed at its very best if you haven't read or seen too much about its surprises. With the paper plane, me too, I couldn't help but watch how exactly it was done, while the rest of the family had a true "ooh and aah" moment...

The visual effects and projections are terrific!

#492 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3396 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:41 AM

ah so not brochures yet? (with loads of production images in)

#493 RudyGrey

RudyGrey

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

no, I'm afraid the programs on sale now have no production pics

#494 Halpster

Halpster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 04 July 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

Some posters on here are just clueless.

Do you not realise flying a piece of scenery containing 2 actors- 1 of them a CHILD is not the same as Mary Poppins or a witch flying over the audience? You really expect the glass elevator to fly over the whole audience?
I'm speechless.

Just clueless....you are speechless? Doesnt seem to be the case Mr Barnaby...I was merely suggesting it would have been nice to have a more impressive effect then the one that they had. That was all. I totally understand having seen shows in the west end for the past 25 years and directed and staged over 75 productions exactly what health and safety involves and also how what was possible even a few years ago sadly isnt now. at no point did i say i expected the elevator to fly over the whole audience ...you do like to create a bit of drama yourself :-)

#495 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

Oh I thought the elevator was a great effect! i must say I still think The flying in Mary Poppins and Spider-Man was the most amazing thing I've seen in terms of effects.

#496 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3396 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

agreed mary poppins is hard to top in terms of magical flying

according to baz charlie has an advance of about 6million, not amazing but respectable

#497 Palatio

Palatio

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

Finally got round to seeing this with the elevator. Well, its still a charming, inoffensive show, quite evocative in places, and some magical moments (more emotionally, rather than in terms of effects). But the music is still barely serviceable at best sadly, despite some songs growing on me. But it has no number that really wows musically.

But the elevator did look rather cheap and tacky sadly and makes the "flying" in Defying Gravity seem a real coup de theatre!!  The scene worked much better without it.

#498 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

Are you kidding? I thought the elevator in Charlie was much better than the defying gravity cherry picker.

#499 Palatio

Palatio

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

No not kidding. It just wasnt impressive as an effect as it was. It didnt ruin anything, it wasnt as risible as the Priscilla tour bus by any means, for example, but it did look cheap in an otherwise classy production

#500 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

I wonder what the harness free flying in the touring Peter Pan will be like - limited I guess, and the noise of the fan covered by loud music probably. But oh yes, the joy and magic of the last minutes of Mary Poppins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users