803 replies to this topic

#541 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

Somebody was telling me also when I last saw Charlie that it has the biggest orchestra in London currently ... That's a miracle these days quite frankly where most shows try to cut the band down .. It certainly seemed a full sound to me and a pleasure to hear a big orchestra

#542 Palatio

Palatio

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

Saw it again on sat. As a whole it is a decent piece of musical theatre, well written and with bags of heart, and it did move me more this time

Yes the sound was marvellous and it is so great to have such a large and lush sounding orchestra. Just wish the music (by far the weakest part of the show) were better. There is nothing poor about the music at all. All the songs are ok, but with nothing that even becomes remotely impressive and no "wow" moment musically.

#543 ThomasH

ThomasH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but it seems to be the place to be when one loves the theatre.

I am hoping to go and see Charlie at some point soon.

There are quite a few of us (about four adults and one teenager) going and I am just wondering about seating. Few questions if you may...

Is this the kind of show were good seats really are everything? i.e. you get what you pay for?
Stalls the best seats to have for this show?
If so, anybody with experiences of examples? Where are the best views, places to sit .etc. ?

Hopefully you guys may be able to help me. I really would appreciate any assistance or responses.

Thanks!
The Curious Incident of The Dog in The Night-Time (West End, 2013) The Same Deep Water As Me (Donmar Warehouse, 2013) Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (West End, 2013) The Pride (Trafalgar Studios, 2013) Mojo (West End, 2013)
Blood Brothers (UK Tour, 2013) Sister Act (UK Tour, 2013) Cats (UK Tour, 2013)

Upcoming:

Birdland (Royal Court, 2014) Skylight (West End, 2014) Let The Right One In (West End, 2014) One Man Two Guvnors (UK Tour, 2014) Barnum (UK Tour, 2014)

#544 theatremonkey.com

theatremonkey.com

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

IMHO some of the cheaper seats are better than the expensive ones. There’s a lot happening at high levels, so the circles are better for seeing it all.

From around row T in the stalls and H in the royal circle, the circle overhang may well cut bits of the show. In the front stalls, you look upwards, too. If you want “premium” seats the front centre block of the royal circle is unbeatable, and the seats next to and just behind them at normal top price are fantastic. I was in row D, just beside the centre block, amazing.

In the grand circle, there’s a big black unit attached to the front of the circle. Not really in the way, but sitting about row C back helps anyone small to ignore it, I think. There’s some restricted view stuff at the front just off the aisle that’s also worth having too, as are the cheaper seats in the back rows, as you see everything from there.

The balcony is fine as well, you’ll see plenty. Only problem in the grand circle and balcony is legroom, so aisle seat for anyone over 5ft 7 up there.

#545 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

I think it looks great from the grand circle.. Or royal. I wouldn't sit at the back of the stalls or the balcony.. Hideously high

#546 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

Saw this yesterday - not that great! Could and should have been so much better. Second act was better than the first.

#547 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

Short but sweet!

#548 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

Short as I didn't have much time when I wrote it. I didn't have high expectations of the show but I came out thinking it was better than I reckoned it would be from people's opinions on here but like I said above, I think it could and should have been more "magical". I also am not fully convinced that Douglas Hodge was the best choice for Wonka but that might be because I am not a fan of his voice. The children were all excellent as were most of the cast. I also saw The Color Purple and Once on this London trip and they were much smaller scale but much more moving and more up my street.

#549 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

View Posttommo2k, on 25 July 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

Saw this yesterday - not that great! Could and should have been so much better. Second act was better than the first.

I also saw it this week, saw it Wednesday night, I thought it was a lot better than what I expected, the songs were not as bad as I expected, one or two I really liked, set was great as was the cast, overall a lot better than what I expected !!

#550 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

Saw this this afternoon, I thought some parts were excellent whereas some bits were a bit naff and out of place. Douglas Hodge and Nigel Planer great as was Mrs. TeeVee. The diction of the kids' introductory songs wasn't that clear, I thought.
Enjoyed it though.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users