803 replies to this topic

#61 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

Disappointed to read negative comments already. Especially regarding the new songs, the vast majority of which I thought were fabulous.

The only issue for me was the first 15 minutes. The projection on making chocolate is very pretty but it goes on far too long. And then the opening number is very dreary. I was hoping for a big ensemble number about the joy of Wonka chocolate to open the show.

Once the other children start to turn up though, I didn't have a single complaint, in terms of it holding my interest. Great songs, great sets and some of the best use of projection I have seen on stage. Douglas Hodge is every bit as marvellous as I had hoped he would be.

#62 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

I still think the great glass elevator finale needs work and I hope they enable them to float over the audience or something to that effect.

As this is the spoiler thread, I will say to stand on a platform that rises out of the stage was pretty sad... and, once again, I am sure that was an element that was added last minute.

It's funny, isn't - the paper airplane illusion remains one of the most memorable elements of the show!   Wonder how it would've been if Paul Kieve got his hands on it...
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#63 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

The songs are well crafted and suitably 'musical', but there wasn't anything outstanding or brilliant enough to make me want a cast recording.

For everything negative I've said, don't mistake it for me disliking the show - I loved it: it's well crafted, well written and has strong performances even at this early stage.

I just think that everyone (well I at least) expect the chocolate factory to be one continuous wow factor: there are plenty of shows out there that have had an audience amazed at how they've staged something and made them go 'how did they do that'? - But Charlie lacks this thus far (with or without the elevator).

It is a strong show though regardless. I'd give it 2-3 years, possibly 4 max.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#64 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

I can't imagine that the finale will stay that simply staged. I suspect it came down to that or cancelling yet more previews, so they went with the platform. However, it's where he sings "Pure Imagination", and the current staging is just that, so who knows?

#65 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

Yes its a flawed show right now, but it is very close to being very very good. lots to pick at lots of potential, nothing too disastrous.
Though I wasnt wowed by the score the oompa loompa songs and the introducing the families songs were fabulous.

The cast are terrific, especially the 4 bad kids (anyone know which kids were on last night? ), The Violet and MikeTV were fabulous movers  and all the oompa loompa numbers were terrific.

I liked the imaginary elevator - it fit the theme well.

Felt it was a bit of a shame the ensemble took their bows in black and not a costume, maybe that will change.

#66 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

Ok - I find myself tempted to pop along to the box office and grab a ticket for tonight. A good omen I think as its less than 24 hours since I saw it!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#67 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

I doubt masses will have changed between last night and tonight though!

#68 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

Id like to go again before press night. Very interested to hear how it evolves.

#69 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

I am going the week before it officially opens, by which time it should be pretty much frozen.

#70 dippy

dippy

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

I always take a photo of the cast list since I'm really bad at figuring out who is playing who, so apparently we had Charlie: Jack Costello, Augustus: Harrison Slater, Veruca: Ellie Simons, Violet: Adrianna Bertola, Mike: Jay Heyman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users