803 replies to this topic

#651 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1276 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

Once your in the factory, it's very episodic... One child gets their comeuppance, followed by another. There's not much you can do to make it anything other than predictable.

#652 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

True but they could've returned at some points to the Bucket family to see how they're getting along or, and this is what the latest film did quite well, add an interesting back story for Wonka.  

The song Charlie sings in the show sums it up well: It's Almost Nearly Perfect.
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#653 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostMusicalTalk, on 14 October 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

or, and this is what the latest film did quite well, add an interesting back story for Wonka.  

The song Charlie sings in the show sums it up well: It's Almost Nearly Perfect.

Well each to his own, but I prefer not to think about what that film did to Willy Wonka
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#654 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

I agree. each to their own.

Personally, I thought the back story of Willy Wonka ruined the film
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#655 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

View PostAnthony, on 14 October 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

I agree. each to their own.

Personally, I thought the back story of Willy Wonka ruined the film

yes i agree, glad it wasnt added to musical

#656 DeNada

DeNada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

Even the original film had to add the fizzy lifting drinks story in (and the Slugworth storyline) to give Charlie something to do in the factory and create some drama.  Otherwise there's no conflict, nothing to generate tension - the sheer inevitability of the second half, plus that relentlessly repetitive structure (the screen drops, they move to the next room, Charlie asks something inane about the other children, screen lifts, child gets dispatched, Oompa Loompas sing, screen drops, they move to the next room...) is what kills it there.

The backstory for Wonka in the Burton film is a bit weird and the main thing that puts people off said film.  But at least it gives him some kind of depth, rather than being just a slightly loopy man.  I seem to continuously harp on about Pure Imagination being the only emotionally moving moment in the show for me (despite the sentimental ballads in the first act and Simply Second Nature coming close) and that emotion is then squandered by the ending when Wonka sods off and gives Charlie the factory - it feels like the show and the story just sputters to a halt afterwards.  That's nothing to do with the repetitive structure of the second act - that's just down to lack of characterisation.

#657 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

The thing I like about Willy Wonka and the tour in the book is that there is an air of mystery. The tour feels like the characters are going on the event of a lifetime, but as the children are picked off you get the feeling there is something else going on. It is something that the Gene Wilder and Burton movies does portray. Wonka's backstory is an interesting idea, but together with Depp's portrayal it fell flat.

I suppose most of the people who go and see the musical would have already read the book, but I thought the mystery wasn't there. Wonka's strange entrance does telegraph the reveal and It Must be Believed sounds very chauvinistic. I half expected Wonka to say "enter my factory if you dare".

Still, to me the no. 1 thing the musical should have done was to expand Charlie's character, like Matilda. As I said, the near ending was interesting but it should have been used during the rest of the musical.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#658 Richey

Richey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

Cast of Charlie to appear in this years' Royal Variety according to BBC website

#659 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

View PostRichey, on 16 October 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

Cast of Charlie to appear in this years' Royal Variety according to BBC website

Wonder what they'll perform? I'd guess a mix of Don't Ya pinch me Charlie and It Must be Believed to be Seen so you can have the whole cast.

#660 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

It's possible that they'll want to focus on the kids more and may not even include Wonka himself. Matilda never had Bertie on as Trunchbull when they were on the RVP! Having said that, I think it would be a bad move not to have Wonka included in the performance in this case.
Somebody crowd me with love, Somebody force me to care,
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there, As frightened as you, of Being Alive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users