78 replies to this topic

#1 Trev

Trev

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

Saw a preview of this of Tuesday and am haunted by themes it has thrown up. I will guarantee that you will enjoy it more if you don't read any reviews, since it will take a much more skillful writer than myself to
explain how the themes introduced actually develop, without spoiling one's enjoyment of the piece. I certainly can't remember an Almeida play that has done that before - has all the hall marks of good Royal Court writing.
I am not hesitating in recommending it. Excellent performances almost throughout the entire cast, even from actors who have previously let me down! I feel as if I have just jogged through an airport size novel in 3 hours but with far more enjoyment and provocation.

#2 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

Really enjoyed this yesterday, great use of the stage and set with some really thought provoking ideas and solid acting. Oh and not sold out so able to sidle across into centre seats which was no bad thing.

#3 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1665 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed it too! Long....3 hours including interval...but didn't drag. Liked the pacy scene changes and clever use of "the box" to create different locations. Won't say more as don't want to ruin for others but another of those plays that you have to go home to google all about the background. Well worth a visit!

#4 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:43 AM

Agree with all the above, especially the fact that it didn't seem as long as it was (3 h 10 when I attended), probably because most scenes are short and the changes are indeed "pacy", as Latecomer notes, and visually engaging.  Surprised it wasn't sold out but expect it soon will be.

#5 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

Tempted by this one following feedback here, and I unexpectedly have a free matinee slot ;)

Any tips for seating on this one? The date I'm looking at has a couple of the £16 "slightly restricted" seats in row G and J, and quite a few £8 seats, either at the front few rows, on the extreme sides, or in the back few rows at the sides.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#6 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

xanderl, on 27 May 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

Tempted by this one following feedback here, and I unexpectedly have a free matinee slot ;)

Any tips for seating on this one? The date I'm looking at has a couple of the £16 "slightly restricted" seats in row G and J, and quite a few £8 seats, either at the front few rows, on the extreme sides, or in the back few rows at the sides.

I was row D 25 (which is middle of the side section) and it was absolutely fine. Seats at the extreme sides will be what you expect, an angled view but scenes won't out of sight. If you have a choice, go for the right side as you look at the stage, not the left. The way the set is angled the left side might be more problematic.

#7 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

#8 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

5 stars from Billers in the Guardian - "If we see a better new play this year, we'll be extremely lucky.

Read the full article at: http://www.guardian....w#ixzz2UgRNh8MN"

#9 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

Almeida server's crashed, and the phone lines are constantly engaged.

#10 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

Glad I booked at the weekend ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users