78 replies to this topic

#21 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

Worth all the faff of booking: a well made play with dramatic tension, well staged, a difficult, meaty subject matter, good characterisation and wit. Excellent acting [ but when do we see poor acting in London? not often] especially from Benedict Wong. I can see why the 5*s from the pros.
After show talk. Interesting discussion developed as a Chinese lady found the play lacked fact - a whole cultural divide right there! How do we know what happened ?
Met someone in the audience, a young person I know from the Muslim community , who had not heard of the Tianamen Sq thing and didn't know the photograph. And I noticed that people were talking to each other in the interval about the play - not just to me - so it  certainly provokes reaction. It was memorable. I could analyse a few teensy flaws and one or two clunky lines but for now, let us cheer on a contemporaty play that isn't about a dysfunctional family and isn't verbatim reporting and isn't by David Hare.

#22 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:35 AM

Lynette...may want to spoiler your question......
Agree completely with sentiments...it was refreshing wasn't it.

#23 Trev

Trev

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

View PostLatecomer, on 05 June 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

Agree totally ( and this was just the spoiler I have been waiting for) Chimerica made me think of the play Copenhagen when just by asking a question you draw attention to other unthought possibilities......wonder if it is worth starting a Chimerica spoiler thread for people who have seen it to discuss issues?.....

#24 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostLatecomer, on 05 June 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

altered my post, sorry... :huh:

#25 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

Transfers to the comedy

#26 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostJamiem, on 06 June 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

Transfers to the comedy

Good to see its going to have a West End run, guess it'll be around August time after Merrilly finishes its run.

#27 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

Saw this this afternoon and was left walking around Islington in floods of tears!
Question - where I was sat I couldn't see what happened during the phonecall at the end - what happened?!?

#28 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

It is excellent. The subject matter is fascinating- I was expecting a broader look at America-China relations, but in fact it's really one man's quest for an answer, and a play about photography more than anything. How so much is hidden in a photograph.

It twists and turns so much - much like the cube in Es Devlin's and Finn Ross' extraordinary design - that I did not see what was coming. Especially loved the portrayal of the relationship between Zhang Lin and his Liuli, and the fridge.

It is too long, though it doesn't feel like over 3hrs, and some scenes are unnecessary and feel like padding. It's bloated. I'm thinking particularly a couple of the ones set in Joe's apartment with Tessa. But Lynsey Turner's production rockets along, and if Lucy Kirkwood can tighten up the odd scene and be a bit more scrupulous with her editing, it'll be perfect.

Stephen Campbell Moore has never been better, and Benedict Wong is forever forgiven for his Laertes. This is a remarkable year for him, after Ai Wei Wei and now this.

I'd been looking forward to this since it was first announced. And having just been to Beijing, I found myself laughing at moments no-one else was, though it is very funny throughout. When Joe is invited to Pizza Hut, this great foreign experience- the same happened to me. It is an experience, faux-Italian food with Chinese flavours. Pizza with a slight taste of soy sauce. It's odd, but none more so than what they must think of 'Chinese' food here. Also, the first thing Zhang Wei does when he meets Joe is show him a photo of academic-excelling son.

Some of it didn't strike me as entirely accurate- censorship when one types in Tiananmen Square Massacre and Tank man into Google. That doesn't happen. One can quite easily read the wikipedia entry on either, and find a whole load of sites and photos. Can't access Facebook, Twitter, Youtube or Blogspot though. And similarly, when someone held up an umbrella when he was photography in the Square twenty years or so later after the Massacre. I didn't get that.

But I'm being very picky. It deserves a transfer, I hope it gets one. It's a thrilling night, but also a deeply moving and tragic one.

#29 dallardice

dallardice

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 09 June 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

Some of it didn't strike me as entirely accurate- censorship when one types in Tiananmen Square Massacre and Tank man into Google. That doesn't happen. One can quite easily read the wikipedia entry on either, and find a whole load of sites and photos. Can't access Facebook, Twitter, Youtube or Blogspot though. And similarly, when someone held up an umbrella when he was photography in the Square twenty years or so later after the Massacre. I didn't get that.

They certainly used to, although the policy looks like it changed in 2010: http://www.csmonitor...on-Google-China

#30 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

Interesting, but this is 2012 so by then it would be lifted. Anyway, that's talking about google.cn when you can easily access google.co.uk. google.com is blocked- redirects you to google.hk. But it's a *very* minor niggle :lol:  Still didn't get the umbrella though.

Forgot to say Claudie Blakley was v impressive in her presentation in which she dries. A neat way by Kirkwood to communicate some rather interesting information without it feeling heavy handed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users