78 replies to this topic

#51 theatrepaul

theatrepaul

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

I'm really excited by this play. Bagged myself one of the discount tickets for the West End run & very much looking forward to it

#52 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

I've been trying to put my finger on why I wasn't as taken with it as I expected, the script is very good, and the use of the box ingenious, probably best use of multimedia I've seen.

The fast scene changes with setting after setting created near perfect did make it feel nearly film like, somehow losing the thing I love about theatre. Plays are not usually 'staccato', hoping from scene to scene quickly in the way films can, and the focus remains on the acting and words. During Chimerica I spent more time watching the ever changing box, just taking in one scene when the next one already starts and at some point I noticed that I'm paying as much attention as I do when watching a film, which is significantly less than when I'm watching a play.

#53 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

I usually hate things that go round and round ( or up and down ) but for me this was ok. I agree it could make a movie but I don't think this is like one at the moment.

#54 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

I enjoyed this a lot but I think it could have been shorter - just cut the odd scene here or there (there were a few subplots that didn't really go anywhere) and have a brilliant 2 hour 30 minute play!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#55 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

Warning for day seats, the stage is very high and extends outwards, so with the box on top you are looking up a lot. To be fair you don't actually miss much except for a couple of scenes blocked by tables etc. If I was going again I would probably sit in the pillar seats instead. Also only take row B, not the side seats on row A.

#56 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:02 PM

Dont go for the cheap back row either, we had headless actors any time anyone stood in the box.

Enjoyed a lot of this though agree some could have been cut.

#57 DrP

DrP

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

Got some £10 seats in row O with a pillar in front, which were great for the money. The pillar isn't much of an obstruction, as it's not directly in front but there is the space of about 1.5 rows, so you can sort of peer round it when needed.

Agree it was a touch too long but very engrossing. Like the nod to the Almeida with the curved brick wall at the back of the stage

#58 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

Tonight's performance has been cancelled, and this afternoon was stopped mid-way. Issue with the revolve.

#59 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

Tonight's performance is cancelled due to a "mechanical failure". Hope it's fixed by tomorrow!
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#60 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 21 August 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

Tonight's performance has been cancelled, and this afternoon was stopped mid-way. Issue with the revolve.

View PostAlf, on 21 August 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

Tonight's performance is cancelled due to a "mechanical failure". Hope it's fixed by tomorrow!

They also had problems on Saturday, 10th evening when I was watching. But they were going ahead, was not serious then obviously.
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users