86 replies to this topic

#11 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

Like I said Titan, "off the top of my head", I personally don't think that "I Believe" is viable, but certainly "Hello", I think that would work very well.
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 179 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#12 Joysie

Joysie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

"You & Me (But Mostly Me)" could also work if they just wanted to send Gavin & Jared along

#13 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Mormon doesn't need to, but it would be nice to see it showcased. Hello would be perfect IMHO.

Charlie really should make the effort though.

#14 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

its just before opening, with all the rehearsals they do as well during the day plus previews they are already 'making the effort' to be ready for opening night, which is far more important from a pr pov.

that said they could be waiting and make a last minute decision nearer the time

#15 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

Even though Mormon clearly doesn't need to be there to sell tickets, I do find it a bit arrogant of them not to even bother sending a couple of people along for one song.  Charlie is excusable as they're preoccupied with being ready for opening, but Mormon doesn't have that excuse.  Every other show is managing to send some representation, so there's no reason why Mormon shouldn't.  Not doing so makes them look a bit self-important in my opinion, rather than showing their support for the London theatre scene in general.

#16 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

View Postposter J, on 26 May 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

Even though Mormon clearly doesn't need to be there to sell tickets, I do find it a bit arrogant of them not to even bother sending a couple of people along for one song.  Charlie is excusable as they're preoccupied with being ready for opening, but Mormon doesn't have that excuse.  Every other show is managing to send some representation, so there's no reason why Mormon shouldn't.  Not doing so makes them look a bit self-important in my opinion, rather than showing their support for the London theatre scene in general.
I have to agree; especially since isnt this event meant not just to advertise their shows but to let more people get a taste of London theatre, who might otherwise not be able to for whatever reason? Since Mormon is so sold out surely singing one song at WEL would just let people who cant get tickets at least get to see a moment of the show...

#17 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

I personally wouldn't send the Mormons if I was their producer! The show has always had a certain mystical and untouchable air about it, so if they sent people down to every public event they would be just another show. But because they don't sell tickets fair in advance and don't put many tickets on sale at once, people have to make an effort to get to see it! In america they have only performed at the Tony's so I don't see why they would perform anywhere other than the oliviers here!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#18 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

Exactly. They have always been quite careful in how they market and what they do (or mainly don't) give away.  Being cagey creates intrigue, and has always been part of their strategy.  Its being careful of your brand image. Theres no video highlights for example, just the 60 minutes thing, and a limited amount of cast photos

#19 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

It is just another show, no matter what their marketing strategy.  They've performed on the Tony awards before, that song is fully in the public domain, so you can hardly say they're being entirely cagey, there's no excuse whatsoever. In fact their refusal to perform anywhere other than the Tony awards just makes them look like they feel they're above everyone else, which is a very negative image to create. I don't see what gives them the right to consider themselves more special than any other show, and I do think it gives out a very bad impression of the show that it doesn't feel inclined to give a very short performance at an event which is a celebration of and promotion of the very theatre scene that it's currently a part of.

#20 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

I don't think any show has a duty to perform anywhere though. Sure they have performed it on a televised event so it can be seen, but seeing it live is a completely different experience. I don't think that it makes them look like they think themselves above it. They just want to stay a bit mysterious!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users