86 replies to this topic

#21 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

and im not sure exactly how much of a boost west end live is for theatre. everytime ive been the vast majority of people anywhere near the stage are hardcore theatre fans and drama students. with a few tourists thrown in.  im sure it helps on the day sales for people who happen to be in town but thats no good if the shows sold out.

i dont think it gives a bad impression, as aside from a few hardcore theatre fans or you are staying there all day, no one will really care/notice a show missing

#22 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

View Postposter J, on 26 May 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

It is just another show, no matter what their marketing strategy.  They've performed on the Tony awards before, that song is fully in the public domain, so you can hardly say they're being entirely cagey, there's no excuse whatsoever. In fact their refusal to perform anywhere other than the Tony awards just makes them look like they feel they're above everyone else, which is a very negative image to create. I don't see what gives them the right to consider themselves more special than any other show, and I do think it gives out a very bad impression of the show that it doesn't feel inclined to give a very short performance at an event which is a celebration of and promotion of the very theatre scene that it's currently a part of.

Don't agree I'm afraid - no show has an obligation to perform at the event, and the producers have always been very careful with how they market the show.  The producers of this show clearly want to make sure that most people enter the theatre not knowing much about the show - there isn't even a song list in the programme, so unless people have the cast album, they won't know any of the songs before hand, which is what the producers want.

Also, last year was the first time Phantom and Les Mis had performed at the event - they hadn't performed at the event before that so it's not the first time not all shows have performed.

#23 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

View Postposter J, on 26 May 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

Charlie is excusable as they're preoccupied with being ready for opening, but Mormon doesn't have that excuse.

Not quite sure myself, but wasn't RoA still in early previews for WE Live 2011 and nevertheless appeared with a three song set? But admittedly, they don't have any children in the cast...
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

#24 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

I have never said Book of Mormon has an obligation to perform.  I said that it gives a very negative image in terms of their willingness to support and celebrate the West End theatre scene that they're not bothering to do so.   And I don't buy the intrigue argument - clearly they don't care about it that much if they're willing to display a song at the Tonys.  They could do the same song at WE Live.

#25 thatgirlsophie

thatgirlsophie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostJohn_Rebus, on 26 May 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

Not quite sure myself, but wasn't RoA still in early previews for WE Live 2011 and nevertheless appeared with a three song set? But admittedly, they don't have any children in the cast...

Rock of Ages hadn't even begun rehearsals at the time of WEL 2011, and this year From Here to Eternity will be performing before rehearsals have begun - so really is entirely different to being in previews

#26 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

Crazy for You performed one year before they had even opened, no costumes but some of the principles sang numbers from the show.

#27 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

Never been to this but am really excited to go this year! Sorry but I've got no idea how it works - does each show perform once during the weekend? Is there an order published in advance? Or do we just turn up and see a rota or what?

#28 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostCatqc, on 26 May 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

Never been to this but am really excited to go this year! Sorry but I've got no idea how it works - does each show perform once during the weekend? Is there an order published in advance? Or do we just turn up and see a rota or what?
They release the running order for the weekend nearer the time. Most shows do a 5-15 minutes performance on either Saturday or Sunday, few shows appear on both days (usually Jersey Boys, for example).

#29 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

West End Live's facebook page says that Book of Mormon isnt in the line up but 'may make an appearance of sorts so watch this space'. Doesnt help to speculate I know, but...

#30 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostCatqc, on 31 May 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

West End Live's facebook page says that Book of Mormon isnt in the line up but 'may make an appearance of sorts so watch this space'. Doesnt help to speculate I know, but...

Probably a brief clip on the video screens as other shows have done in the past.

No show has an obligation to perform but I have to say that I was spoiled by all shows performing last year and was hoping the same would be the case this time around. When I saw three of my most anticipated missing (BOM, ROA, Charlie) I was a bit disappointed I have to say, though glad to read that ROA may be performing after all.

There will also be solo acts again, amongst others Oliver Tompsett will be performing on the Sunday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users