43 replies to this topic

#11 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

the oliviers need to overhaul the catagories.

#12 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostMark_E, on 26 May 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

Nabalungi is featured. Nikki James won the Tony for featured so guess it would be the same here.
Well, Alex Gaumond was nominated for Best Actor in 2011 for Emmet in Legally Blonde - which is a supporting role in my opinion and was treated as such on Broadway.

#13 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

Changes happen between Broadway and West End.

And Merrily We Roll Along is going to take a lot of beating if you ask me. Besides which, every actor in that production is giving a better performance than any of the leads in these big new shows...

#14 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

Merrily doesn't exactly have much competition in the Musical Revivals category, does it?!

I Can't Sing will be eligible for the 2015 awards, and it's unlikely Newsies or Miss Saigon will be eligible for 2014 unless they open by March next year.

#15 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

I think the Oliviers should extend their deadline to late March/early April to allow more shows to be eligible. Another possible contender is The Light Princess at the National which I think is opening in October.

#16 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

Best New Musical - Once
Best Musical Revival - Merrily We Roll Along
Best Actor - Gavin Creel (The Book Of Mormon)
Best Actress - Alexia Khadime (The Book Of Mormon)
Best Supporting Role - Nigel Planer (Charlie And The Chocolate Factory)
Best Director - Sam Mendes (Charlie And The Chocolate Factory)
Best Choreographer - Peter Darling (Charlie And The Chocolate Factory)
Best Costume Design - Mark Thompson (Charlie And The Chocolate Factory)
Best Lighting Design - Paul Pyant (Charlie And The Chocolate Factory)
Best Set Design - Mark Thompson (Charlie And The Chocolate Factory)
Best Sound Design - Clive Goodwin (Once)
Audience Award - Wicked

My opinion

#17 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

I think Once and Book of Mormon will dominate the awards next year, Once probably more so than Mormon.
LONDON
[2004] Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010] Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011] Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013] The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#18 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

I dunno, i think Charlie has a big chance at sweeping the award season too... if not the Oliviers, it will dominate the WOS awards i think, as its audience voted

#19 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

I think it depends alot on whether shows like Newsies make it in time, or if Barnum makes the transfer! Also Stephen Ward has a chance at winning big as everyone loves a good ALW show! And if Saigon comes in before the deadline that could mix things up! So I can't see any show dominating to be honest!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#20 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

Zrinka Cvitešić may have a chance at Best Actress in a Musical and after everything I've read so far I'm not convinced Charlie will take home so many awards. Especially as there are enough plays to be considered for lighting, costume, set and sound - and direction!
And yes, it's far too early to make any good guesses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users