48 replies to this topic

#1 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:28 AM

Saw this last night and was really impressed. I don't want to spoil the set list for anyone going but it was a wonderful array of MT numbers (with a little bit of 'pop'), beautifully performed by Lee Mead, Glenn Carter, David Thaxton and Matt Willis.There's a brilliant llive band on stage too.
They were joined  in Act 2 by special guest star Kerry Ellis, who was fantastic too, and a choir.
A really enjoyable evening, but it wasn't full which is a pity. But I would recommend it.
(The cast looks a bit fluid though, so check who is on before you book.)

#2 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

What was the song list like ? Hearing mixed stuff on it !!

#3 SueD

SueD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

I went last night with my daughter and would definitely go again tonight if I had the train fare again! Really enjoyed it,it was quite intimate and a bit like being at a cabaret. Matt Willis sounded much more polished than when he was in Wicked,but we thought Lee Mead was the weakest of the four of them.

#4 Carmella1

Carmella1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

Saw this the other night and loved it.  All of them were good.  Lee Mead's Fix You was terrific.  And so was David Thaxton's Till I Hear You Sing.   Matt is not quite there.  But will definitely see it again.

#5 Azincat

Azincat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

I saw the West End Men on their short UK tour last summer (cast - Matt Rawle, Lee Mead and Stephen Rahman-Hughes) and it was one of the most enjoyable evenings I had at the theatre last year - thanks in part to a VERY enthusiastic audience in Guildford!  I thought the range of songs was good - quite a few from the 'big' musicals as you might expect but with some interesting arrangements and lovely harmonies.  Other musicals represented included Bombay Dreams and Martin Guerre and there was a bit of Stevie Wonder and Coldplay as well.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the show again next weekend - I imagine the set-list has changed a bit since Guildford as it seems to reflect, in part, particular songs/musicals that might be associated with the individual cast members.  And as Freckles has said, the casting will change somewhat during the run at the Vaudeville, Glenn Carter will finish on 8 June with Stephen Rahman-Hughes taking over as the fourth West End Man from 10 June.  Kerry Ellis is with the show until 15 June and Carly Stenson will take over as the female guest for the last week of the run.

#6 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

I also went to see West End Men on Wednesday night and felt that the show was somewhat lacking. The first half was very classical (lots of Andrew Lloyd Webber) and towards the end became rather dull. The only spark of energy for me was the performance of Matt Willis' Busted hit "The Year 3000" as it was hilariously out of place and also because it's a song that was big when I was in high school.

The second half was certainly more alive and kicking with music shows I enjoy a lot and a beautiful rendition of "One Day More" with a choir as back-up. Unfortunately I was once more reminded that I'm really not a fan of Kerry Ellis' voice and I thought she was the worst bit about the second half. Still, the guys sang a Josh Groban song, so that made me very happy ^_^

There's no doubt that the four leads are incredibly talented (and while I was until Wednesday night unfamiliar with David Thaxton I was particularly taken with his voice and will now certainly seek him out on the West End stage) but the concert as a whole feels suited more as a one-off in a church around Christmas time, than as a West End show that has to fill the theatre night after night.

#7 Rooby

Rooby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

I'm going on 8th June.  Can't wait!!

#8 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

I really wish David Thaxton would return to a show. I know he was focusing on his band, but maybe doing these concerts is enticing him back

#9 coddy92

coddy92

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

Saw the 'West End Men' tonight after booking top-price tickets on Lastminute.com for £25! Theatre was half-full but this didn't stop a well-deserved standing ovation at the end!

Highlights included Glenn Carter's performance of 'Gethsemane', David Thaxton's 'Til I Hear You Sing, 'Bring Him Home' and 'One Day More'...as well as 'Out Tonight' and 'Defying Gravity' performed by Ms. Ellis!

Such a good show- go and see it if you can! :)

#10 JAD

JAD

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

£47.50 tickets for WEM selling at £18 at TKTS today. That's a massive price drop. This has only just started and for a short run. It must be a bad show or very unpopular. Sad for great talents like Glenn Carter and David Thaxton.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users