48 replies to this topic

#11 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

its not really a long run west end kinda show, more like a sunday night one off. im surprised its doing the run it is

#12 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1408 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

View PostTitan, on 06 June 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

its not really a long run west end kinda show, more like a sunday night one off. im surprised its doing the run it is

Its just until The Ladykillers opens and the early closure of Great Expectations lead to two fillers coming in to keep the theatre open.

#13 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

It looks to me like four "west end men" out of work and auditioning. Lets hope plenty of casting directors catch the show.

#14 JAD

JAD

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

View Postwickedgrin, on 06 June 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

It looks to me like four "west end men" out of work and auditioning. Lets hope plenty of casting directors catch the show.

It looks that to me too - they are out of work and can't get a WE musical. Prices are still £18 at TKTs, which is well below half price and % wise well below what other shows are selling for there. The whole thing smacks of desperation.

#15 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:19 AM

West End Men has been around for a while touring, with different leads (like Three Phantoms).  To be fair as far as im aware this isn't them producing the show themselves, they have been hired by the producers so its not them 'being out of work and desperate'.  Its really a one off event type show and not something that can easily sustain a long run, an odd filler choice but it must cost peanuts to run.

#16 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:28 AM

Well, I liked it. I'm going again this week.

#17 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostTitan, on 09 June 2013 - 06:19 AM, said:

West End Men has been around for a while touring, with different leads (like Three Phantoms).  To be fair as far as im aware this isn't them producing the show themselves, they have been hired by the producers so its not them 'being out of work and desperate'.  Its really a one off event type show and not something that can easily sustain a long run, an odd filler choice but it must cost peanuts to run.
I agree. Having seen it, it really is production and ticket prices (as well as direction) that are to blame. All performers really seemed to be making the best of it and it has its moments - Til I Hear You Sing and Gethsemane were both outstanding - but setting it up for a four week run was unrealistic.
Plus, I think it's pretty low to criticise a performer for taking on a job offered to him or her (and doing it well) just because I'm not a fan of that sort of show.

#18 shelly

shelly

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

Before Thursday night's performance there was an announcement made to the effect that Lee Mead was indisposed due to laryngitis....but that he would be performing anyway.  I must say it was all rather bizarre!  Poor Lee was struggling quite a bit.  I enjoyed the performances from David Thaxton and Glenn Carter, and some of the harmonies were lovely, notably in Kiss from A Rose.  David Thaxton was far and away the best Enjolras I have ever seen, and I really do hope he comes back "properly" to the West End soon.

#19 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

View PostTitan, on 09 June 2013 - 06:19 AM, said:

Phantoms  has the advantage that it picked a well known show  name, and has some of the very few really well known names in it, and Phantom has been on tour, with the same lead,  on DVD and in the news recently. . The trick may be in how you find a name and publicise that  you have a show with some of the very best singers around in it ( there's at least one of those  in WE men  and some others who are well liked) Your selling point is that you are going to sing 5 times as many great  songs as you will find in most current WE musicals - and infinitely more than there are in some.

It looks as if it may be the future though. if producers can't  or won't put on as many  full musicals with full casts, and top singers and actors  as they did a few years ago,  there may be a lot  more  talent joining up to produce similar shows. That would be  infintely preferable to some of the shows in the WE fast tracking to the exit, being tried out for a global market, or aimed at the SCD or OAP  market -    or the ever growing wave of 60/70s jukebox musicals, other dance shows, ancient comedians, fortune tellers and weaker singing soap stars filling  up the local theatres. There's a lot of people I would rather  see sing a cabaret on their  own,  or in one of the bigger shows - some of  which now seem to have more top talent in them than all but the best WE cast.

#20 St Anne

St Anne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

I find some of the comments on here pretty rude. To describe performers of the calibre of David Thaxton and Glenn Carter as "out of work and desperate" is offensive and unnecessary; as far as I know (and it has been widely reported) David Thaxton chose not to go back into another long-running show in order to concentrate on working with his band. I would imagine that he is doing "West End Men" because it is such a short run and he can fit it in around his other commitments.  I have to say that the format of this show doesn't really appeal to me and I have therefore chosen not to see it, but I don't see any reason to sneer at the performers in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users