48 replies to this topic

#21 Carmella1

Carmella1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:17 AM

Having seen the show twice I have to say the criticism I have read from reviewers and some on here who have not even seen the show is very unwarranted.  It seems Press Night critics went to the show with their minds made up that they were not going to like the show.  More or less saying this is the West End why bring a show to about the West End to it.  Its not a book show so they knew what to expect. Its an eclectic mix of musical numbers.  Yet they were fully prepared to dislike it.  The voices and harmonies are wonderful.  Criticizing Lee Mead for his voice saying he could not reach the notes in the nasty way they did was nothing but lazy reporting. He has sung those notes for a very long time and they knew it.  People knew he was ill from before the opening.  He was "soldiering on".  He would be criticized  either way, why didn't he try or how could he miss the opening.  Since the opening he has only sung one solo song and that only later in the week. Prior to that David Thaxton sang it.  And they have announced each night that he is suffering with laryngitis which they did not do on Press Night but was obviously evident.    That said David Thaxton, Glenn Carter and Matt Willis are in fine form vocally so why not enjoy the show for what it is and if you do not like the format do not go.  If you go in prepared to dislike it and write disparagingly about it,  all I can say is you are a poor journalist.

#22 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

Totally agree with the last two posts, this show does what it says on the tin & is actually a lot less cheesy that I anticipated. Yes, I admit I had a pre-conceived idea of what to expect, as obviously do most of the critics & a lot of the audience (especially those who haven't seen it!)

But I was impressed & had a great evening. It is difficult to market a show like this & expectations seem low, but I do think it deserves credit & had it been a one-off charity 'gala' performance, it would have received a lot of praise. The West End is full of that type of one off show which are far more justifiably seen as profile raising affairs for the individuals involved!

The criticisms have been disproportionately disingenuous, IMHO. And it hasn't sold well which is a great shame, but at least means I can pick up a bargain seat.

There will be a new man tonight too; Glenn Carter will be replaced by Stephen Rahman-Hughes so expecting some variation.

#23 Rooby

Rooby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

I saw this with my husband on Saturday and we both thoroughly enjoyed it.  The performances were great and the banter between the men easy and natural.  It was a shame about Lee suffering with his throat but I was glad he was there and did what he could. It would have been difficult to replace him or do without him in such a concert.   The choir was beautiful and Kerry Ellis amazing.  A lovely evening.

#24 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

Saw again last night & enjoyed it again. It was Stephen's first performance & he fitted in well. Nothing much was different apart from he did a solo of The Journey Home (from Bombay Dreams) where Glenn Carter used to do Gethsemane. And I don't think Lee Meade is 100%; there was no announcement & he did his solos OK, but they missed out the duet with Kerry (shame, one of the others could have done it!) and he seemd to keep sitting down when all the others were dancing, particularly towards the end.
But still a very entertaining evening.

#25 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

Any idea of approximate running time?
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#26 famecoco

famecoco

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:44 AM

It's about 2 hours long unless Lee is well enough to do all the songs when it's about 2 hrs 10 mins

#27 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:01 AM

Thank you famecoco
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

#28 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

So I saw this last night. Not bad. For reasons that I won't go into on this discussion forum I walked in feeling somewhat melancholic but came out having overall enjoyed it. Some great voices and harmonies. A good vehicle for Matt Willis, I think. As a foreigner I'm not too familiar with Busted or their music, but am aware of them.

Lee Meade- certainly aware of him but I'd never seen him in anything. He was good.

Possibly my imagination but as good as he was, I thought I detected that Stephen Rahman-Hughes a slight lisp. Didn't make a difference to his performance though.

There seemed to a genuine respect and camaraderie between them.

Kerry Ellis- there's no denying she can sing, but I'm at a loss to see what the fuss is about this woman. She appears to be everywhere at the moment. And she just seemed out of place. I mean it's supposed to be West End Men, not West End Men and friends, or West End Men and a West End Lady. They didn't even make use of her for a duet.

The house was pretty much full. In fact Lee Meade made reference to the fact that this was the fullest it had been for the whole run- possibly the cheaper reduced tickets. I was in the Dress Circle and as Act Two commenced there seemed to be some sort of rucus occurring on the other side with a patron standing up and telling someone behind her to "Shut up"- possible fisticuffs methinks. Theatre staff had to run around and move her.

Good song selection and from some of the older musicals too, which I though was good. I was thinking of 'guy' songs and was so pleased they sang a song from Rent, though not the one I expected. As much as I love Les Mis, personally I would have cut One Day More and replaced it with another. And with the choir, why not sing Bui-Doi? I mean they were there anyway. Seems like a wasted opportunity.

Which leads me to another and final point. As much as I enjoyed it (and I really rather did) I walked away somewhat puzzled that there were so many other 'guy' songs they could have performed from other shows but didn't. Why not start the show that half hour earlier and finish that half hour later to include some more? Just a thought.

#29 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

i think the only reason kerry ellis has a higher profile at the minute is she is touring in born free with brian may. if it werent for him using and promoting her at every opportunity she wouldnt be seen that much. agree with you though, i dont get the fuss at all. she was one of the reasons i didnt go to this

#30 Carmella1

Carmella1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:39 AM

Titan if Kerry Ellis was one of the reasons you did not go than you should go this week.  Carly Stensen is in it and really the woman only came out the half of the second half.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users