#41 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

View PostJAD, on 22 June 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

Don't be so bloody rude. It's much my concern as it it yours.  

Such a heavily discounted, bargain basement show cannot be good for the CV. Celebrity status men like Matt Willis will find work because he is 'famous'. This hasn't set the West End alight. Critics were not particularly enamoured  and voiced their suspicions about the thing being an audition. These men do have talent. This was the wrong vehicle.
It was not the performers' own vehicle considering the production existed before they were asked to be part of it. None of them need to worry about this show on their CV considering what else they bring to the table. It's not that big of a deal.

#42 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

Of course they need worry. The lack of sales has shown these guys cannot sell a small venue for a limited run, on the strength of their names. It puts them back in the audition pool on the same standing as everyone else.

#43 Azincat

Azincat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

I saw the show last week just after Stephen Rahman-Hughes joined the line-up and I really enjoyed it.  Perhaps one or two odd choices in the set-list but, all in all, some lovely songs and interesting arrangements nicely sung, by all the cast.  Strangely, although there was a good range of MT songs, the song that has stuck in my mind is 'Kiss from a Rose' which closed the first half!

Four weeks in the West End for this type of concert show is quite long but I would imagine that the producers  see this run as a platform for future tours.  There is already talk of a major UK tour early next year with possible international tours to follow.

#44 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

But wasn't this a filler?
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#45 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

its already toured. its been around for a while

#46 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

View Postjaqs, on 22 June 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

Of course they need worry. The lack of sales has shown these guys cannot sell a small venue for a limited run, on the strength of their names. It puts them back in the audition pool on the same standing as everyone else.
That doesn't make much sense. You can argue that Mead and Willis have been able to rely on their names to be cast in shows and that the producers expected the same in this case and were disappointed, but that is certainly not true for the others. It is fairly obvious from the way the whole thing was marketed that nobody would expect Thaxton to bring in the crowds but that's not why someone like him would be offered a part in the show (or any other show) in the first place. He and Carter got the best reviews out of the bunch and have got the talent, a couple of good shows with good parts and in Carter's case a whole of experience and Thaxton's case an Olivier Award to their name. To assume that any casting director wouldn't be able to see past a heavily discounted show when looking at their CVs is ridiculous.

#47 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

this type of cabaret show has limited appeal. im a theatre fan and even i rarely go to this kinda thing so a casual theatre goer likely wouldnt. plus its barely been marketed

#48 JAD

JAD

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

View Postjaqs, on 22 June 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

Sounds sensible to me. Being in a filler show is bad enough but when you can't even fill even a small theatre in the West End with tickets at a massive discount and selling for £18 there's something amiss.

#49 Azincat

Azincat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostTitan, on 22 June 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

this type of cabaret show has limited appeal. im a theatre fan and even i rarely go to this kinda thing so a casual theatre goer likely wouldnt. plus its barely been marketed

I agree that this type of concert show has limited appeal in the West End where is a wide of range of 'full production' musicals to compete with.  Initial pricing probably didn't help.  

I think the show's more natural 'home' is certainly on tour.  As mentioned, the show has already had some successful tour dates in the UK and Singapore, and, from their comments at a post-show Q &A earlier this week (what I was alluding to in my earlier post), the producers' plan seems to be to use the current West End run to build up the 'brand' with a view to more extensive future tours, particularly internationally.  "Direct from the West End" is always useful on the promo material!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users