- - - - -

The Wind In The Willows - The New Musical (Stiles & Drewe)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#11 wetheatreboy

wetheatreboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Set for sometime in 2014 I've heard... It'll be interesting to see if they can bring something new to it.

#12 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3384 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

Yeah, this has been done many times before either as a musical or play so not sure what their hook will be

#13 wetheatreboy

wetheatreboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

I notice Jamie Hendry is currently advertising for a General Manager, Production Coordinator and Production Assistant. I guess if you want the inside scoop for this show you can apply for a job there(!)

I guess it suggests that the show is going to be on a larger scale than his previous productions, whatever scale that might be. I'm genuinely intrigued to see how this turns out...

#14 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

A little bit more information, plus public are able to invest in the show: http://www.investinwillows.com/

#15 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

Quite interesting they're asking the public to invest in a similar way to Kickstarter, guessing the project isn't finding investors willing to fund it,

#16 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

Would have been lovely if this was the Xmas show at the national or something.. But then again they did a fabulous production years ago!

#17 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

The Alan Bennett adaptation of Wind in the Willows and the production at the National by Nick Hytner was wonderful - if a little long I seem to remember. Of course this was in the days when it was acceptable to be a play and not as now when the trend is to musicalize everything. The producers clearly think that by making it a "musical" it will be more popular somehow at the box office and this is not always true of course. As Nick Hytner himself has recently said the musical is one of the hardest things to pull off.

#18 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

There's also the Royal Ballet's version which is coming to the West End this Christmas

http://www.roh.org.u...by-will-tuckett
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#19 wetheatreboy

wetheatreboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

View PostJon, on 10 November 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

Quite interesting they're asking the public to invest in a similar way to Kickstarter, guessing the project isn't finding investors willing to fund it,

This is so interesting! Are they doing this because they want to, or because they have to? I've never know musical financing to be raised in such small blocks. Then again, there are a lot of people that would never invest in theatre that will consider this for the fun factor!

Is this the next step in the premium experience band wagon?

In terms of the actual production... There needs to be something very special and different about this production that will attract an audience, especially when there are existing versions already out there. Fellowes, Stiles and Drewe are being sold as the star draw of the show at the moment. Poppins was pretty good, but that's no guarantee that this will be. A lot more goes is involved in making a musical a success than just a good writing team (although it does help!)

#20 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

Stiles and Drewe are great, write great stuff. But they havnt had a long runner.
It's interesting the investment levels start well above the kickstarter range but below the normal current investor level. Not entirely sure who they're aiming at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users